ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Could anyone recommend my a tablet?

Hi,

Im after a tablet that I'd use for as a basic calendar, notes and Internet browsing. Budget of £100-£200, new or second hand...

There is so many that I've just been bombarded with information so like some first hand recommendations? I've heard good things about Google's one but bad things about android? Obviously an iPad is a great machine but I'd like something smaller (and no I don't want to wait for the iPad mini!)

Thanks,
Dan.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
The Ainol is alright. not amazing but it does the jobs you list ok. Well worth the cost and far better than some of the older cheap android tablets.

It's definitely one you have to be prepared to fiddle with though (for me that's kind of fun) as some apps won't run on the standard rom. Some very good modded roms on slatedroid forums. "Elvish" seems to be the one that makes the Ainol Elf as good as it gets. One thing I did was re-assign some buttons to turn old unused (left over from older versions of android) home and menu buttons into a volume rocker. Took 5 minutes, made a world of difference

If you're patient then try to get hold of an Ainol Aurora, they're slightly thinner, and have an IPS screen

Completely off topic, but with the iPad's, if the battery gets to the point of being unuseable (say, 1-2 hours use before it dies), how much do Apple charge these days for a new one? Was about £50 when I looked at it for my old iPhone.

Clio MK3 DCI
Samsung make some of the better Android tablets.

Found this on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-G...=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item33742060b4

Also try finding a Lenovo A1. I bought mine of Amazon for £169. They are £199 at the moment. The Lenovo doesnt compare to an iPad in anyway. Not sure about the Samsung. If you have used an iPad you will be disappointed. If not you will probably find them very usable.

Then again with the price of the iPad its probably not fair to try and compare a tablet that is half the price.

Nobody has said get the new iPad. I suggested getting an iPad that suits his budget.

Which is still better than anything else in that price range.

2014 Clio 200t edc
The blackberry playbook is actually really good, especially on os2! I really like it, and was/may even sell my ipad2 for one.

Yea, the playbook isn't bad especially now it has the email client. Later this year we should see a raft of cheaper (150 quidish - no not the harry potter game) tablets with Windows 8 on them.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
How much?

Spec on the thing looks horrendous.
Also does that processor support all marketplace apps?

not confirmed the price of them yet, I'd expect £130 region

as in my earlier post, to unlock some apps you have to reflash the rom, but once that's done everything works fully

Thanks for the advice chaps, popped into HMV and the Carphone Warehouse on the way back from a meeting this morning and had a play around with some..

They just seem so slow and laggish :( Is this common with demo versions or are they all the same? I had an iPad 2 but sold it as I needed the cash, wish I didn't now!

Where could I find an iPad 2 within my budget? They go for £300+ on ebay still!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nope its a common theme, all tend to be sluggish and hesitant to scroll smoothly

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You don't realise just how bad the others are until you go into HMV use them all and then use the iPad last.

The others are laughable imo.

That's exactly what I did, couldn't believe how poor they were to be honest, then used the iPad to play around seeing how functional the calendar is - and it just works!

I'm starting a company, so I'm gonna be here there and everywhere, I really need a digitalised calendar to make life simpler, pen and paper is no good anymore haha!

Intrigued as to where I can buy an iPad 2 for any less than £300 though? Even so, perhaps an iPad 1 is what I should be looking for?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I'm self employed and use my iPhone. The calendar is synced with iCal / googlemail. Job done. I wouldn't see the need of an iPad for that just yet. Maybe when your business is doing well ,write the iPad off as a business expense.