ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Courtesy car

BMW 120i Sport

So in goes my cupped 182 for a couple of warranty jobs and I get a courtesy car for a couple of days... a 1.2 Clio.

In the name of lord, its a slow car; however it is quite comfy with its soft squishy suspension but I need to rev the tits of it with full throttle to get it to go anywhere. I see what people mean by "if you think the 182 isnt that fast, drive a 1.2 for a few days". 60 mph comes very slowly and about midway through third gear.

Anyone had anything more exotic, or very poo as a courtesy car?

172 Exclusive

I had a 206 DERV :( the gearstick seemed like it was up to my shoulders and the clutch was lighter than helium. Oh and it sounded like a tractor.

But nothing is as fast as a courtesy car LOL

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

1.7 litre diesel astra van....

1.0l yaris...

1.6l new shape megane (which was ok, but i was pissed off because i had just got the 182 back and five minutes later it broke down again so this is what renault gave me..)

over the space of two weeks while my 182 was in for its warranty work... which turned out to be shipping in a new wiring loon form france...

Lee

BMW M2C

Sutton Park give me a 1.2 Clio.

Renault Birmingham usually give me a choice of a 1.2 Clio, a Modus or a 1.6 Megane. I always take the Megane.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 28 June 2005

So in goes my cupped 182 for a couple of warranty jobs and I get a courtesy car for a couple of days... a 1.2 Clio.

In the name of lord, its a slow car; however it is quite comfy with its soft squishy suspension but I need to rev the tits of it with full throttle to get it to go anywhere. I see what people mean by "if you think the 182 isnt that fast, drive a 1.2 for a few days". 60 mph comes very slowly and about midway through third gear.

Anyone had anything more exotic, or very poo as a courtesy car?

16v dynamique for me last week and i have to say i totally took my 172 and 172 cups for granted.

didnt like the lack of a throaty engine sound, was offered some very guid deals to change to some diesels but iv dingied those ideas as i realise that despite the shoddy interior rattles and quality i just cant get enough of its performance, ease of acceleration.

and hardly anything with the same performance and not a diesel gets 36 mpg as i do:D

my boss had a peroudo (spelt right i think) nippa after someone rammed me across the road up his dads drive and into his 330ci!! it was pink as well, had a 3 cylinder engine from i think a daihatsu and topped out at about 75-80mph. it was the funniest thing ive ever seen as hes quite a big bloke and this car is cinquento size. look one up and your see what i mean. never found out why he got such a sh*tter as a courtesy car though. dont think he had courtesy car on his policy and so he got as cheap a car as possible off them as they had to recover the cost. hes now changed insurers and to this day i aint been forgiven!

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by seb182 on 28 June 2005

1.7 litre diesel astra van....

1.0l yaris...

1.6l new shape megane (which was ok, but i was pissed off because i had just got the 182 back and five minutes later it broke down again so this is what renault gave me..)

over the space of two weeks while my 182 was in for its warranty work... which turned out to be shipping in a new wiring loon form france...
ahh the old wiring loom problem - this was my first problem when I got my Clio

when my car was in getting the above sorted I gor a Rover 25 1.6 16V which was alright actually apart from the sh*tty interior and having to stamp on the brakes with both feet to get the thing to stop!

[Edited by POW_Clio on 29 June 2005 at 12:22am]

Abarth 500

It will make you appreciate your car more when it comes back!

My fave moment in a courtesy car was ripping the tyre off the rim whilst attempting reverse donuts with three in the back and one in the boot!

ps dont buy ex courtesy 1.2 Clios from Renault in Oxford ;)

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

I know the feeling mate.

Ive just got my 182 back from the bodyshop after some repairs, had a 1.7 Astra diesel for 3 weeks and that was slow but actually quite decent to drive!

Ive sure missed my 182, what a difference between the two, amazing.

BMW 120i Sport

Holy christ, i near shat myself when i got back in the 182. The pace is phenomenal and that "woaaahh" feeling came back when i got a kick in the arse in second gear at 5000 rpm.

The steering, brakes, clutch and gearbox as so much heavier than the Clio 1.2.

The chassis, poise and feel of the 182 is just incredible; I truly had forgotten (or got used to) how good it is.

ive had a ka, 1.0 micra (new shape) and now have a 1250cc ford festa. you never get the economy out of these small cars as youre used to driving something that actually accelerates so its foot to the floor everywhere you go.

Titanium 182

Got the 182 in March and thought it was monsterously fast. Now like everything it just seems ok.

Getting the struts done in Ashford on Friday and guess what, SNAP! a 1.2 clio.......wait for it...... expression.

Cant wait to have a bit of a laugh with it down the M20 to Folkestone, hoping the 182 makes me grin from ear to ear when I pick it back up.

Neil

i had the new megane, was nice change for a day! but it was 1.4:sick: why put a sh*t little engine in a big car! the fuel was crap as i was "redline" all the way!

1.0 litre corsa, big rolls on the corner, handled like a boat and had a horrible delayed throttle, wen i got the 1.4 back i was so chuffed!

133/225/CLS AMG

I got a 1.2 courtesy car Clio which was slooooow. I had a 1.2 before the 172 and although huge jump forward nothing like as much as going back to one.

They also gave me a 1.4 automatic Clio which was nippier but the gear changes were completely random, not a good auto at all.

Courtesy cars are great though, not your tyres or clutch, they must be abused!! lol

The Jinx

It only seems like such a big gap because youve lost the art of "maintaining momentum." This is a key element of driving anywhere quickly in small engined cars.

If you have the car long enough youll soon get it back.