ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Courtesy Car

My cup has been in the dealers since saturday, for numerous things engine mount, brakes, body work etc

I have a 1.2 16v dynamic courtesy car and im not putting people down who have bought one cause im sure they have perfectly good reasons why like the 50mpg i have been getting, but how slow is it, i am flooring it to keep up with normal traffic!!!

It reminds me off the good old days of my 1.1 saxo, slow but still fun, very chuckable cars you can just fling them around. Alot of body roll and understeer all part of the fun!

BUt for the price of a new 1.2 16v dynamic (around 10k ish??) what i bought my new cup for why arent people snapping all the second hand 172s up instead??

Like i said not trying to upset people you have them but for the money there are alot better options i think!

Cant wait to get my cup back on saturday!!!!

I can appreciate that, having been there myself with a 1.1 saxo

Just think its a bit pricey for what it is

Jonny

i agree but as its a courtesy car just take the air box off and rag the hell out of it......remember its not yours and you aint mates with the owner so you have to rag it........thats the rule of courtesy cars

Ziel Nurburgring

I always find that courtesy cars always perform best in 2nd. Around town, in the country, dual carridgeways and M ways. They dont seem to go in any other gear, maybe im just doing it wrong :p:devilish:

LOL

I do seem to be using 2nd alot!!! They are hard work keeping up with traffic!!!

Might aswell be in 5th for the amount of pull in 2nd you get!!

just hope they aint doing that to your car...lol....but 2nd will be better without an air box...and remeber in a courtesy car if your speakers distort they can go loader and a rev limiter is there to let you know the correct time to change gear....

Ziel Nurburgring

squeeling tyres also remind you that there is still some tread you need to get rid of and the hubcaps are meant to scrape the curbs so you know your close enough

oh and when you return it make sure the fuel is on empty otherwise renault will be offended that u didnt like there car and didnt use any petrol but if its on empty they know you have done miles........and when you take it back tell the guys u thought that car was great fun and a bit nippy and try to keep a straight face knowing that you have totaly abused it and dont care if you never see it again...

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

my mate got a dci clio and paied 10.5k for it... I thought thats steep.

I brought the cup a month later for 11k ... he was well pi55ed off.

even better tho is another mate who payed 11k for a seat ibiza 1.4 "sport" 100hp tho..lol

Nippy white cup

Our Cup is also in today and Nic has picked the courtesy car up....04 inferno Red Extreme (with the barcoded seats) not a bad little motor but does need screwing to get anywhere. They always feel soft around bends compared to the cup but now since I have fitted the sportlines, the 1.2 really rolls!

Chris

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 04 November 2004

I brought the cup a month later for 11k ... he was well pi55ed off.

even better tho is another mate who payed 11k for a seat ibiza 1.4 "sport" 100hp tho..lol
Exactly what im talking about i paid £10,600 for my cup pre reg (so new really)! And i seen the new c2 vts in p gti mag and thats going to be £11,995 got to be mad to pay that!!!!!

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

i was told by 2 dealers that if i have a courtesy car i would have to phone my insurance up and cover there car on my policy do you all do the same?

a few years ago you would just sign a piece of paper saying you agree to the ??? excess, on the dealers insurance.

P

peterh2

No idea last time Renault just gave me the car and didn’t make me sign anything. I assumed I was just covered by there insurance.

Funny how threads go with rants about how dealers treat our own cars and then you read this about how proud we are to thrash theres

Da

Less

Quote: Originally posted by M.C.. on 04 November 2004

i was told by 2 dealers that if i have a courtesy car i would have to phone my insurance up and cover there car on my policy do you all do the same?

a few years ago you would just sign a piece of paper saying you agree to the ??? excess, on the dealers insurance.
never signed or paid anything myself, usually just pick up keys and go!

yep - defo down 2 insurance - i have a 54 dynamique. wouldnt of hesitated 2 get an older 172 of summat but my insurance was allready £1800 this year. im 18 with no NCB you see.

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 04 November 2004

I paid £10k for my dci (I got ripped off). But even if I could have afforded a Cup/172 I probably wouldnt have the trouthe is that Ive saved a fair bit owning a dci what with the free insurance and petrol/servicing.

I dont think even now I would have got one with the cost of fuel and insurance with the milage I do.

Black 172

can i just stress my 1.2 dynamique aint slow not compared to a corsa and most other small hatch backs i have driven, mine does not do 50mpg either , i agree it doesnt handle fantastic round corners etc but i think there pretty nippy for a 1.2, i had a corsa before it and i mean that was gutless mine will easily pull to 90mph up a steep hill on a motorway and keep on going

plus your comparing a courtesy car which has spent all of its life being ragged around

not moaning at ya just trying to put my point across

Quote: Originally posted by M.C.. on 04 November 2004

Yes first time i have ever had to do this but i had to phone my insurance and put the car on mine it was free but Renault said they would pay if there was a charge. Not sure if thats just cause of my situation with them at the moment though

Usually have just gone picked up a car thrashed it took back and got mine without any paper work!

Ive just dropped my 172 off at reno coventry (sutton park) after waiting for 4 weeks for a courtesy car, they then tell me on arrival that i need to insure their "courtesy" car fully comp, and that my 3rd party cover to drive any vehicle isnt good enough... PAH ... So basically i dont know why they call them courtesy cars ... after paying out £21 to my insurance for cover.. surely this is a hire car and not a courtesy car?

Yaris Hybrid

Mine was only £8k.

I can remember that it seemed really fast when I got it after having been driving things like 1000cc Minis etc. In fact I remember putting my foot down going up a hill and grinning from ear to ear! I almost feel embarrassed about that now!

Had one as a courtesy car recently and my god its not how I remember!!! Absolutely gutless!!

Its amazing how you get used to quicker cars though. I went from the 1.2 16v to a 2.2 Vectra SRI 150 and I remember the first time I put my foot down on dual carriageway I pretty much sh*t myself! After a week though I was used to it and felt it was too slow and boring!

I had a dci 80 courtesy car as well and I definitely preferred that to the 1.2 16v. 70mpg v 45 to 50 mpg and it just felt more punchy when pulling out of junctions.

Mk2 V6, MK1 Track Sl#g

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 04 November 2004

Our Cup is also in today and Nic has picked the courtesy car up....04 inferno Red Extreme (with the barcoded seats) not a bad little motor but does need screwing to get anywhere. They always feel soft around bends compared to the cup but now since I have fitted the sportlines, the 1.2 really rolls!

Chris
is it any quicker than mine then??