ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CPu ? How Hot is Too Hot ?

Shed.
As title, Q6600 @3.26 GHz, Std cooling - 85 oC On full load, 58 oC Idle, @ 1.4v.

Too much ?

New CPU cooler arrives tuesday so ill be okay then, got the Tuniq 150.

SLK 350
Yeah, ideally you'd want to keep it a fair bit cooler than that. If you've just got a new CPU and you immediately clocked it with an OEM cooler you're a silly boy.

Run it in like a car for a week or so, and use proper cooling and some AS5...

Shed.
Back down to 2.46ghz now although coretemp is telling me im running 1650mhz wtf ?

Whats an IDEAL maximum temperature to have under full load then ?

Monaro VXR
My Q6600 is running at between 36 - 40c idle load with a 3.2ghz overclock its up to around 65c.

Nothing wrong with overclocking straight away though. A lot of people do burn in's on them and only on brand new CPU's not actually as good on older CPU's they don't benefit as much.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Mine runs at 32deg idle...55 underload. Overclocked at 3.2ghz

I wouldn't be happy with an idle of anything more than 50degrees to be honest. I think you should get som AS5 reseat and make sure you're not on stock cooler obvioussly!

got to say, one of the other biggest differences made to my OC temps was the case, antec 900 knocked 10degrees off it!

Ah ok. Still, 85c seems way too hot. Depends what's being used to measure it too. Realtemp is the best for those chips I think, with TJmax set at 100c.

EDIT: I may be thinking about the extremes only...

EDIT 2: The Q6600 is 65nm, my bad.

Yeah, as does Realtemp :) But anyway, I didn't explain myself properly. Realtemp is meant to be better for 45nm, but I'd neglected to understand that the Q6600 is in fact 65nm. CoreTemp FTW then I guess :)

P

pete.grant

Got my Q6600 up to 3.00Ghz (1.3v) running at 23 degrees on idle and 37 on load. Using AS5 and an Asus Silent Knight 2.

Michael172 - coretemp is showing that you are running at 1.6Ghz because you have Intel Speedstep enabled (it basically throttles your CPU when it isn't doing anything strenuous). Be sure to disable it when you OC.

Last edited by a moderator:
  2014 Focus Titanium
Mines @ 425x8=3.4ghz and runs at 30-32 deg at idle and around 50-55 under full load.

Make sure you are all read separate core temps and not CPU temp.

Shed.
Well ive got it all set up now, my pc is like a f**king wind tunnel now i cant hear myself think tbh.

Idling at 32ish @ 3.2GHZ and also on full load its no more than 68oc now.

2014 Focus Titanium
Get yourself some big silent fans then :D Mine has 6 fans in now and its quieter than some of my old computers that had 2 in.

If you have just put your new cooler on, expect your temps to drop over the next week or so by a couple of degrees, it takes a while for the thermal paste to become effective.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
have you got a new case yet? i think that might be your issue tbh, mine runs very quiet, don't need thefans on full blast, also be aware that on your mobo you have a northbridge fan aswell which can run quite high unless you limit it..

Shed.
have you got a new case yet? i think that might be your issue tbh, mine runs very quiet, don't need thefans on full blast, also be aware that on your mobo you have a northbridge fan aswell which can run quite high unless you limit it..

Im tempted to go with water cooling.

yer i bought the 300 you told me about. Its now got 2 120 mm fans which aint that loud, the Tuinq 150 which isnt exactly loud either, the gpu which i didnt think was loud and still dont think is the problem, the northvridge which ive got a controller on and the psu.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
well if you're thinking watercooling, mikes setup is pretty awesome. I run the same setup tbh and my fans aren't that loud...

i thought you just posted about how you can't hear yourself think because it was so loud...whats making the noise then?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Mine's noisy because of 4 10,000RPM spindles and 4 7,200RPM spindles lol... Oh, and YHPM, go on - buy it!!!

I always found watercooling was noisier than fans.. the pumps always made more noise.

Might have changed tho - Last time I built a watercooled machine was like, 3 years ago now.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I always found watercooling was noisier than fans.. the pumps always made more noise.

Might have changed tho - Last time I built a watercooled machine was like, 3 years ago now.

Lots has changed... The Eheim pump I run is nearly silent when running, and that's a fairly heavy duty pump...

Shed.
Mine's noisy because of 4 10,000RPM spindles and 4 7,200RPM spindles lol... Oh, and YHPM, go on - buy it!!!

What can you offer me for the cooling ? And whats included.

Im skint now for this month, Gotta watch what i spend it on but i might have a little bit extra spare you never know.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Got my Q6600 running at 3.6Ghz on air cooling. Antec 900 case, two front fans, top fan, side fan, rear fan, ac freezer7 pro cpu cooler.

Had a bit of a (pointless) argument on here a while ago, can't find the thread. About whether I could get 3.6 on air cooling. There's a few lucky other people on overclockers forums who've managed it too.

I've had it sat at 100% load over night before. It is a bit noisy to be fair but tolerable.

untitled2.jpg

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Yeh sometimes needs abit of time to settle in. Thats fine. So are you ok now? now having problems anymore?

Shed.
No none, its my hard drive thats almost dead now. Sounds like a tap dancer. have a Veloci Raptor coming today hopefully. Think that was the result of the freezing during instalation tbh.