ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cracked carbon splitter on broken speedbump

BlackGold 182
Hi guys just now I cracked my carbon splitter in half, due to a speed bump in the road that had lifted as you will see in the photos, would it be worth complaining to the council?

9897026e.jpg

5f3f3f8e.jpg

7f12798c.jpg

b1686c4f.jpg

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Mate that sucks yeah i think you could have an argument there. I mean the speed bump shouldnt be like that should it!? Lack of maintence etc?

White mx5 mk1!
Yea and there refund what you payed for it lol same with dirty huge pop holes last year got a flat on one that was nice and hidden on a bend moaned and they refunded me for the tyre just need proff of what did it which you have

BlackGold 182
should be able to for that aslong as it hasent been marked already by them. i blody would

so its if it hasnt already been marked then i have a case? for some reason i was thinking it was the over way round as they would of been aware of the problem but hadnt fixed it?

Milltek'd clio 182
worth a try mate, might take ages for a response, but all im going to say, is thats the disadvantages of being soo dammmm low ;)

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
LOL to be honest though, even a normal car would struggle over it.

I take it you didn't see it before you went over? ;)

182, 6r GTi
so its if it hasnt already been marked then i have a case? for some reason i was thinking it was the over way round as they would of been aware of the problem but hadnt fixed it?

its like potholes if they have markings around them it means there already aware of them and are getting round to fixing. to be honest even if its marked and it hasnt been fixed you should still have a case because they havent adressed the problem

Black 172
This is like hitting a pothole, if they say "It was fine at last inspection X days ago and we have had no reports" then legally they can get away without paying because they haven't been negligent and can't be expected to fix a fault that arises the exact millisecond it happens... but I would still claim of course, you have nothing to lose. But hitting a pothole or this speedbump is far from an automatic payout :(

Passat
I agree that this is a massive pain in the arse for you mate but the council can't possibly keep tabs on every inch of their roads. All this blame culture is getting us nowhere.

That said, why should you be out of pocket when 99% of others would make a claim.

Black 172
You might be able to argue that the speed bump was made of unsuitable material and shouldn't have been placed on the road in the first place if they can collapse like that. That puts you in a stronger position than if you'd hit a pothole IMO.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
its like potholes if they have markings around them it means there already aware of them and are getting round to fixing. to be honest even if its marked and it hasnt been fixed you should still have a case because they havent adressed the problem

People are confusing me in here. Basically you have MORE chance of getting a claim if it has already been marked because they still haven't done anything about it.

If it hasn't and they haven't had it reported you have LESS chance because how can they fix something they don't know exists?

Clio 182 + Recaros
You'd have a good case there, I've successfully been compensated by the local highways authority for damage caused to my previous car by a pothole. You need to take some pictures (which you have) provide a receipt for the items you need to pay for as replacments. I would also call the council and specifically ask to speak with someone in the highways department and follow up all phone calls with a letter. You may need to be persistant but they are liable for maintaining the condition of the roads.

BlackGold 182
yeaa i got an email back yesterday at 9.20am saying theyre getting an engineer to look at the speedbump within 2 weeks! lol and theyre sending me a claims form.

and im not even low and it broke it so im gonna lower it again as if it can break being high i might aswell be a bit lower lol

BlackGold 182
Dan I have no idea! Lol just to be really low! But once I got my splitter I decide to raise it cos I didn't Wana damage it... I have damaged it while being high so might as well be low and damage it lol Not gonna go low as before though

Clio 172 Cup
Kieran me and Scott are having a debat on how long them speed bumps have been there. How long do you reckon they have been there?