ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

crank pulley squeaking

clio valver 172
Hi fellas my 172 engine has a squeaky crank pulley but when i squirt wd40 on it, it stops the horrible noise.
Any idea what it is?? Do i need a new pulley??

ST
I'd be lying if I said yes mate, I'm not too sure, but after spending in excess of 900£ earlier this year rebuilding an F4R I wouldn't take any chances.. Sadly the 172 had to go tho.

Davo172 had a squeak not long back which did turn out to be the crank pulley, but it only happened when starting the car.

clio valver 172
Mine squeals after a couple of minutes when started. Its defo got to be the pulley because it stops the noise once i spray it with wd40. An ive been under the car whilst the engine is running and the noise i from the pulley. Is there a seal or rubber mount behind it that needs replacing?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
The Crank pulley is 2 pulleys joined by a bonded rubber damper (this is the squeek) but the squeek on this is only on intial start up for a second not an ongoing squeek , think that may be something else you have.

172 cup
my car does this also, origonaly assumed it to be aux belt, it was quite tight but adjusted it up anyway a little more made no diffrence, just does it when starting car everytime. bit anoying, anyone know if crank pulley a big job?

clio valver 172
I squirted it at the crank pulley. But its defo squeeking from there. Is it a big job changing it an wheres the best place for a brand new one?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
I squirted it at the crank pulley. But its defo squeeking from there. Is it a big job changing it an wheres the best place for a brand new one?

Buy from renault, then you will need the genuine renault timing belt tools to lock the engine or else you will lose your timing.

Evo
If you have the timing tools its a relatively easy procedure, be sure to buy a new bolt from renault too. They stretch and sometimes cannot be reused, safest bet is to just buy a new one for £8

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Then you can either pay someone to do it for you or just buzz the bottom bolt off, swap the pulley, angle torque it up again (this part is very important) and see if you get lucky/mangle valves.

If you're not gonna do the job properly I'd advise you don't do it at all... Not a personal dig btw

Evo
Then you can either pay someone to do it for you or just buzz the bottom bolt off, swap the pulley, angle torque it up again (this part is very important) and see if you get lucky/mangle valves.

If you're not gonna do the job properly I'd advise you don't do it at all... Not a personal dig btw

Seeing as his timing belt was done not long ago I wouldn't gamble on the lower cam pulley being seized in place lol...

I bought a sealey timing kit for this job, not the best quality/looking tools but cheap and did the job perfect. Think I paid around £60 on eBay for the set.