ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crankshaft Sensor RPM

Clio MKII 1.6 16v
Sorry not a Clio Sport unfortunately but a MKII 1.6 16V.

Clio won't start, getting fuel but no spark, engine cranks OK until ignition released.

Connected scanner and crankshaft sensor is showing 196RPM at rest.

I read on here that somebody had 250RPM at rest, fitted new sensor and had 200RPM at rest...was never a non starter though and was put down to French eccentricity.

I also read on another post somebody was getting 190RPM after refitting engine, turned out to be a poor female connection on crankshaft sensor plug.

Could anyone please tell me what their sensor reads on live data: a) With engine at rest. b) open circuit/sensor unplugged.

I renewed my sensor and still showing revs when engine at rest, no change in RPM when cranking either.

Piggybacked loom from sensor to ECU and still showing revs at rest.

Any ideas folks?

A little info about the car.
Has been sat for over a year, replaced gearbox due to worn sun wheel shaft. Clutch, cambelt renewed at the same time.

Upon attempting to start had a solid red immobilizer light, used this forum to help diagnose and rectify that. (Failed ECU earth).

Tested loom and replaced and suspicious wires. (Made a ECU pinout because couldn't find one).

Replaced gearbox to chassis earth and battery to chassis neg with new.

Immobilizer light now clears and fuel primes, but no spark and showing RPM as above.

Only fault code stored was for o2 sensor (after cat) due to broken wire, awaiting spare. Emission and electrical fault showing on dash but assume this is for 02 sensor.

Apologies for the long post, trying to provide as much info as I can.

Clio MKII 1.6 16v
Quick update.

Inspected the ECU 90 pin female plug and spotted the connections for the crankshaft sensor were gaping open...thought I was on to a winner and fitted new connections which grasp the ECU pins firmly and new wiring to new sensor but alas no joy. Still getting 190 RPM on live feed with no change when trying to start.

So not sure if 190 RPM is open circuit or not.

Just waiting to hear back from ECU repair companies now.

Headache.

Land Rover
How much is a new crankshaft sensor? I’d be inclined to just try a new one if it’s not too dear.
Not a bad idea to change it anyway as they do fail.

Clio MKII 1.6 16v
Thanks for your reply :)

I have already replaced original crankshaft sensor with a new blue type, are you thinking this may be duff too?

Attachments

• 15280168573311317762740.jpg
    15280168573311317762740.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 44
  Clio MKII 1.6 16v
Fitted repaired ECU today and engine started after a few attempts with old TDC sensor and a little gas, however once foot is taken off accelerator revs drop and once they dip below 1200 engime stalls. Will try new TDC sensor....suspect timing could be slightly out though.

Thats over 2 years sat on stands under a tarpaulin! Poor little car.

Clio MKII 1.6 16v
Cambelt was changed by me a long while ago but this is the 1st time the engine has run since. I did use the correct tools- pin and cam locking bar - but possible I've made a boob somewhere. Will pop camshaft caps out and see if it's lined up.