ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

crash insurance advice.

172 Credit crunch edition
Hi im in need of a bit of advice,
My dad took his 4x4 for a mot this morning at 8 am parked it opposite the garage and gave the keys to the guy (Freind of mine) and he said ill ring when its done.
Got a call at 1130 can i or my dad pop down there quickly? got down there and apperently the 4x4 handbrake hadn't been put on properly (Apperently by my dad) and its rolled down the hill and crashed into the garage owners vehicle. Now im thnking that if it hadnt been put on properly it would of rolled when he left it? Also i know that he always leaves his cars in 1st gear when he parks up. Anyway the 4x4 is visually ok just the bumper pushed in and rubbing on the wheel but the steering is shot, as its a tow vehicle for the boat its only 3rd party fire and theft. (Only worth about 500 anyway). the guys car is quite bad as the 4x4 hit the side and pushed it onto another vehicle.
Any of you got a view on this?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Firstly it wouldn't roll straight away, you can put the brake on and think its fine, then after its been sat for a while and any expansion caused by heat has gone, the handbrake can loosen a bit and let it roll (speaking from experience, don't ask).

Leaving it in gear stops this, but theres the possibility that he forgot, I've managed to forget before even though ever since I let my car roll off (not into anything thankfully) i've been religiously checking its on etc.

Your dad hasn't got a leg to stand on tbh.

172 Credit crunch edition
Hmm, yeah i can see the brakes cooling down. (After 3 hours though? and its literally 1/2 mile drive to the garage)) Dad doesent really care about the 4x4 as said its just a shunter of a tow vehicle. I think he is upset about the garage owners car. Told him that it doesent matter and my mate was okay about it. Just seems wierd that after 3 hours it would roll?

Da

Less
It's irrelevant with regards to how long it was left, at the end of the day the 4x4 caused the damage to the other vehicle, which is exactly what 3rd party insurance is for.

As above, your dad will just have to swallow the claim.

Are you suggesting their lying?

If so, how/why would they have done this?

Was the MOT done, or any sign someone had been in the 4x4?

Lionel Richie
if it WAS 100% in gear it wouldn't go anywhere unless it was on like a 60degree incline, manual box i assume? (i know that's obvious!)