ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

crash....

Nightmare....

Just hit a curb that was sticking out in the road (if that makes sense...) and to make it worse on the way back from the airport... I was amazed the aribag went of (20mph..) but it had a sharp edge that ripped sidewall and chipped alloy on front and i reckon the I drove over the chip that gave the rear a flat...

Thye upshot is i need a 182 cup anthracite wheel asap as i need to get new tyres fitted to get back on the road... does anyone know where i can get one delivered within 24-28 hrs to the london area that is fairly reasonable?

Ive been surfing the net looking but cant seem to find much at all... any help would be greatly appreciated... the AA are just charged £95 to tow so I will get the alloy delivered and then get mobile tyre fitters.... the ironic thing is all four were new about 100 miles ago...​

So you airbag went off?

Sam

yeah... was really surprised as i thought that you had to be going fairly fast for that to happen... it actualy scared the s**t out of me! Loads of smoke etc... the car didnt start which i assume is some sort of recpvery thing but now seems fine, I assume it will be back to normal now, but im pretty sure the tracking will need looking at...

RB 182
I did the same thing last week...

ClioNewMarch003-1.jpg

My airbags didnt go off, but i bent the subframe :(

I tracked mine up so it drives straight while i get a subframe for it, not bothered about the wheel for this month lol

M

mini-valver

I think you have to get the airbag ECU thing resetting too if an airbag goes off.....

Tangoed Works
Thought there was a sensor in the bumper for the impact that had to be pressed, or is that old skool methods. Do they now use like g force meters or something to calculate the force of an impact?

Da

Less
The airbag computer decides whether or not to deploy the airbag based on many factors including speed, direction of impact and force of impact. It will be pricey though as I believe you need a new computer once it's fired.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Mate, this may cost a fair bit more than you think...

The airbag will obviously need to be replaced, the pretenioner (s) not sure if both are trigger, the airbag ECU, possibly the rear pretensionors and possible the impact sensors.

Only then will any of the airbags work. If you have a crash now no matter what speed you are going none of the airbags will go off. If you roll it the pretensioner will not fire and you will fall out of the seat.

Sam

Ad

MK2 FRS
Mate, this may cost a fair bit more than you think...

The airbag will obviously need to be replaced, the pretenioner (s) not sure if both are trigger, the airbag ECU, possibly the rear pretensionors and possible the impact sensors.

Only then will any of the airbags work. If you have a crash now no matter what speed you are going none of the airbags will go off. If you roll it the pretensioner will not fire and you will fall out of the seat.

Sam

agree with most of that apart from falling out of the seat, the seat belt will still hold you in, it just wont fire the pre tensioner.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
As mentioned above a very costly output!

There are numerous things that will need to be changed to get the car safe again.

Then ontop of all that, you may have damaged the suspension etc.... this will obviously will need to be looked at.

Minimum of £500 worth of parts are needed roughly.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Yeah ok I phrased it a little incorrectly.

You won't fall out your seat but there will be some give in the seatbelt. The pretensioner force the seatbelt to lock, tightens it by 4" and therefore it hold you in place.

Sam

Breaking A 172 Replica
I recommend you get looking on eBay and ringing up breakers. But be careful where you source the parts as obviously airbags aren't the sort of thing you want to be taking risks with.

Sam

Ad

MK2 FRS
If your mechanically minded, then the bits aint to difficult to fit.

Bear in mind if you go through your insurance it will be over £1000 for the seat cover.

Thanks for the replies. I will probably take in to Renault to get the ball rolling with estimates for the airbag, i think the alloy and 2 tyres will set me back about 250-300, just hope everything else is ok apart from the airbags!

Any idea on the cost for getting the seat sorted where the side one came out and having the ecu re-setted?

are you sure you dont want to go through the insurance?with the airbags deploying its goin to be very pricey!!was it just the side airbag, or the front?

Just been speaking to my insurance and have decided to claim, they are already on the way to pick it up. Renault said the airbags will be about £700 and my exess is half that so I might as well get it all done properly. It's going to Renault Enfield now for a quote, anybody ever used them before? I use Direct Line and they seem pretty helpfull so far, they say I will lose 2 years no claims which may add £200+ next year...

Thanks for the advice! Had a long weekend booked Thurs and was really looking forward to going for a drive... I will take a picture of the rogue curb and approach the council about this, if it was in line it wouldn't have happened...

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Just been speaking to my insurance and have decided to claim, they are already on the way to pick it up. Renault said the airbags will be about £700 and my exess is half that so I might as well get it all done properly. It's going to Renault Enfield now for a quote, anybody ever used them before? I use Direct Line and they seem pretty helpfull so far, they say I will lose 2 years no claims which may add £200+ next year...

Thanks for the advice! Had a long weekend booked Thurs and was really looking forward to going for a drive... I will take a picture of the rogue curb and approach the council about this, if it was in line it wouldn't have happened...

Probably the sensible route to go.....
That way if she doesnt drive straight after the repairs you can moan at someone ;)

This list would have gone on:

Airbag
Pre-tensioner(s)
Airbag Computer
Side Impact Sensor?
Alloys
Tyres
Seat Leather Covering
Suspension Parts
Tracking

I thought it was something along the lines of 60% of the value, but I'm not sure. I'm sure they will tell you soon enough.

If it is a write off will that cause problems for me in the future with insurance?

You premium will go up as you've had a claim.

Don't quote me on the 60% though, I'm not certain on it, just that a mate wrote of his quiksilver, was worth about £4500 and did £2200 damage.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I has something similar happen to me in my old VTS, bar the airbag going off.

I hit a manhole cover sticking out of the ground.

Tried to claim against the council, even had Elephant fighting my case and got no joy.

Hope you have better luck.

RenaultSport 182
My bro did the same thing just before christmas, and his passanger side airbag fired, cost £1200 to replace.

BMW M135i
The airbag it can be sorted for a lot less than renault prices. New seat and airbag computer reset £60 + Whatever a seat would cost.

BMW 320d SE
I thought the airbag computer could NOT be reset - it has to be replaced (correct me if I'm wrong).
It always amazes me how much damage little impacts do to cars. I think I would've gone down the insurance route too - you want to make sure the car is how it was before the accident, after all, that's what you pay your premiums for!

BMW M135i
I thought the airbag computer could NOT be reset - it has to be replaced (correct me if I'm wrong).
It always amazes me how much damage little impacts do to cars. I think I would've gone down the insurance route too - you want to make sure the car is how it was before the accident, after all, that's what you pay your premiums for!

Nope they can be reset. The stealers either can't or won't do it though, you have to send the airbag computer to germany and you get with back with its memory erased as if it'd never been triggered. £60 the blokes on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Airbag-Steuer-Systeme