ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crazy revving

Clio 182
Right when starting the car ffrom cold it runs ok then it starts to rev really high at 3000rpm iv changed the oil breather sensor and still does it. All pipes are connected. Does anyone have any idea what the pproblem could be cause this is costing a small fortune with petrol and is Embaressing sitting at lights

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'm no mechanic so excuse me if I'm being retarded here, but could it just be a sticky throttle cable? I see you're in a ph1 that's all.

172 cup
so new idle control valve and throttle at idle and reving at 3k. Theres no possible way it can be unless it's letting air in somewhere, had or done any work on the car recently?

Is it a genuine idle control valve, I changed one the other day that was new but non genuine and it needed 'setting' before it worked properly. It was a £12 effort off ebay

Clio 182
The first time no. But recently new oil and ptfe gasket but that wouldn't make the revs jump
Up and down like that. Just after it warms up and give it a good kick

Clio 182
so new idle control valve and throttle at idle and reving at 3k. Theres no possible way it can be unless it's letting air in somewhere, had or done any work on the car recently?

Is it a genuine idle control valve, I changed one the other day that was new but non genuine and it needed 'setting' before it worked properly. It was a £12 effort off ebay

Ebay one but if adjusted it yet sstill goes nuts

Ly Megane 230 F1
sounds like the same problem my mate is having with his mk5 golf gt (different car i know but same symptoms) he got it plugged in to a code reader and came up a faulty MAF sensor. Do you have or know of anyone with a code reader?

Clio 182
sounds like the same problem my mate is having with his mk5 golf gt (different car i know but same symptoms) he got it plugged in to a code reader and came up a faulty MAF sensor. Do you have or know of anyone with a code reader?

I do not mate. No engine lights or anything are on

Ly Megane 230 F1
if you know for sure that it isnt the ICV/vacuum leak/inlet manifold gaskets then i would recommend a code reader plugged in :)..like riley said the list could be endless if not

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Oh no not the MAP sensor!? Try it mate, only £17.50. It was causing mine to rev really spluttery though. I had an absolute TRAUMA over bank holiday cos of it.
No engine lights were on and code readers told me 'no errors', but we tried Crank sensor, Coolant Temp sensor then MAP and it cured it with the MAP. Renparts on Ebay £17.50 sorted.
Mine was like this tho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFN-1FjBRw

Last edited:
  172 cup
if you know for sure that it isnt the ICV/vacuum leak/inlet manifold gaskets then i would recommend a code reader plugged in :)..like riley said the list could be endless if not

To be honest without a light on the dash its very doubtful a code reader will show anything, Maybe a proper renault CLIP would

Clio 182
The maf sensor on the plenum is quite lose and can pull out dead easily. Guess that shouldn't be the case?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
The maf sensor on the plenum is quite lose and can pull out dead easily. Guess that shouldn't be the case?

Nope! Mine had snapped off! Apparently a biatch to get out in tact so if it's loose it doesn't sound good.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I reckon the ICV is the issue. The other two sensors pull out very easily from the plenum and are not held in. When I changed my ICV (a genuine Renault part) it was stuck on 5k rpm. A bit of trial and error poking with a screw driver plus some spray oil sorted it (not recommended though, perhaps I just got lucky). If it was me and you don't want to go at the ICV like I did, take it to Renault and ask them to fit it.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Mine had a small leak on the TB to Intake gasket, even with the new one on it had a pin sized hole around the bottom of the body (Which you can hear a slight his if you stick your ear up against)

Golf V6 4Motion
If you torque your ptfe gasket down to the same as the standard gasket it shouldn't leak and if anything will give you a better seal... try it as it's free then maybe order a new MAP.