ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crazy start....

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

Hi guys,
I searched but could not see anything about this.
ESP on pulling away at traffic lights, I was on a very slight hill so was holding it on the “Biting point” then I give it a little bit as I tried to pull away… However, I stayed on the spot while the REV’s went up to 6-7 K in first gear with the clutch out and it never moved! The ESP light came on. Before all hell broke lose I took my foot of the go fast pedal and drove of slower.
Any advice on pulling away fast without f00king the car up? Thanks guy!

What were the weather conditions / the road conditions / the condition of your tyres?

All contribute to difficulty pulling off smoothly!

I wouldnt worry about the car though - it likes the abuse :devilish: hehe

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

Tires brand new as is the car I had it 8 days from new, I put 330 miles on so far...:)
Oh, and the road was nice and dry!

[Edited by Thomss on 8/2/2005 11:30:30 AM]

whats your car reg??

Not that it makes a difference to the traction....just so I can make a mental note not to buy it 2nd hand :eek:

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

haha I am being nice to it apart from that one time... Its an 05 plate though, could not wait any longer to get the 55 plate in sept!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Thomss on 02 August 2005
Tires brand new as is the car I had it 8 days from new, I put 330 miles on so far...:)
Oh, and the road was nice and dry!

[Edited by Thomss on 8/2/2005 11:30:30 AM]

You mean they WERE brand new tyres.. now they are racing slicks ;)

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

Thats the weird thing, I never wheel spun, I think the ESP was trying to keep me on the spot! oh well, I am still learning the car atm - I have missed 2nd in to 3rd gear a few times also. Is it harder to change with higher revs? I found I only miss shift when I am about 5000RPM.
Yikes, all this is making me look like a total n00b driver :(

Beetle

Thats the weird thing, I never wheel spun, I think the ESP was trying to keep me on the spot! oh well, I am still learning the car atm - I have missed 2nd in to 3rd gear a few times also. Is it harder to change with higher revs? I found I only miss shift when I am about 5000RPM.
are you sure it was in gear mate??:p

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

Yeah was in gear becouse I was holding it with the clutch only for small hill though, I normally never do this and use the hand brake. Oh well, I am really enjoying the car though! Going for a drive now :D

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Thomass, 5000 rpm, cars done 330 miles.....Running in period?
........Hello? is that the service department? i Have a problem!

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

Oi Cheeky! I am going to get some cool pics up next week once I get my cleaning products sorted.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

Yeah, um - the running in period is pretty hard. I drive it for 10 mins then I cant help it but to take the revs up a little... I was only going of some of the advice I read on here :p I have not gone over about 6000RPM though so thats not too bad right?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

go fookin careful mind, we had a clio in here a couple of years ago that had a blown
engine, reckons he was driving sensible, but somehow our mechanics proved otherwise and
he ended up with a 5500 bill and a dad that wanted to kill
him cos we proved the engine was not run in and not treated
properly.
its in your own interests though, mines a 2001, done 16k,
and mine never goes above 2500 rpm until its been running at least half hour,
purely cos i want it to remain trouble free!

Quote: Originally posted by superfastdan on 02 August 2005

go fookin careful mind, we had a clio in here a couple of years ago that had a blown
engine, reckons he was driving sensible, but somehow our mechanics proved otherwise and
he ended up with a 5500 bill and a dad that wanted to kill
him cos we proved the engine was not run in and not treated
properly.
its in your own interests though, mines a 2001, done 16k,
and mine never goes above 2500 rpm until its been running at least half hour,
purely cos i want it to remain trouble free!

How? short of an oil starvation problem, blued cam journals or big end/main shells that could be down to not checking oil level how did they prove it was down to neglect. Seems fishy to me, normally speaking if the customer doesnt admit to driving like a prick or mistreating the car if its within the cars warranty period the dealer ends up paying.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I only sell the things, i dont know the ins and outs,
Im just saying that when a 2 month old car comes back in,
clutch, engine all hanging out with dents on the firewall where bits have
gone west, dealers can prove it.
We even had renault technical here.
All im saying is go careful...

[Edited by superfastdan on 8/2/2005 2:49:17 PM]

When i worked at BMW we put 4 engines into the same M3 EVO. We knew the guy did track days and on every occasion could plug the ECU into the diagnostic computer and see exactly how it was driven in terms of the revs it was held at and the duration. However the car was not modified and as such the engine should not fail due to the way its driven. If the oil hadnt been kept at the right level or anything tampered with we could have told him to do one but as it was he had 4 engines at £10,000 a pop. I would like to see Renault UK or a dealer for that matter justify to trading standards throwing out a claim on a 10,000 mile 05 plate car because of "the way it was driven".

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

mate, if you read my previous message,
I sell them, i know nothing about engines.
Im just trying to offer a word of advice to another cliosport member.

Lol, dont worry not picking an arguement, just saying id kick off if it was me personally. Theres no way they can fob you off with that bullsh*t. It was built to do it so they cant blame "driving style" on component failure be it terminal or extremely premature wear.

Running in is a funny issue. I was told to not take it above 70% throttle for the first 500 miles, but then to make sure I went up and down the rev range - otherwise the car would always drive sluggish.

I rarely get chance to go much over 5k revs cos I mostly drive round town. Never leather an engine from cold.....or is that stating the obvious???

Ill say this and this only. Stone cold, end of production line, to transporter to ferry, off ferry, around docks, to transporter, off transporter, to compound, on transporter, off again, pdi test run, valeter up to the petrol station to splash 1/2 a tank of fuel in. You tell me that every single journey you know it hasnt been redlined? any damage will have well and truely been done before you even see the thing.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

Mine had 8 miles on it when I first seen it, and 12 when I collected it 4 miles to the Shell Garage to put some Optimax in. Im nearly up to 400 miles now so not that long to go really, by the week end I hope to have it over 600 then once it warmed up Ill have some more fun. :D

Running in is essential if you want a sh*t engine :p

Its a modern mass produced production engine in a moderate degree of tune with a 3 year warranty. If it was going to break by giving it some beans, then the ECU would limit what you can do with it when its new...just like it it lowers the rev limit when the oil is cold.

If youre buying an Enzo that you intend to keep for life, then fair enough I guess, but a 13k pocket rocket youll have got rid of in 3-4 years? Pleeeeeeeeease :p

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 02 August 2005
running in is for pussies

agreed, even my dealer told me not to worry about the running in period :eek:

So should I take it to the red in all gears????
Im looking forward to that! :devilish:

your choice, but make sure if you are going to give it any abuse, its warmed up properly and you dont bounce it off the limiter for a prolonged period of time

So should I take it to the red in all gears????
Im looking forward to that! :devilish:

No, but it wont hurt to blat into 6k territory once in a while as long as the oil is hot (about 10 minutes driving) Personally I gave mine hell almost from new, but only up to about 6500rpm. Now, with 11k on the clock, she gest shown the goodness of 7k+ in every gear when Im giving it the big potatoes.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

lol cool. "big potatoes" :D I am looking at a new zorst soon will this help at all with revs? also looking at the ITG filer panel.

RS 200

ESP, (bare in mind im no mechanic and feel free to tell me to shut the hell up) , but isnt this designed to brake individual wheels when taking avasive action to help carry out the action in a more controlled manor.

And from going by the first post in this thread, " I give it a little bit as I tried to pull away… However, I stayed on the spot while the REV’s went up to 6-7 K in first gear with the clutch out and it never moved! " suggests that the brakes were locked full on and so the clutch would have been taking a right pounding.

If thats right, then i bet the clutch smelt a bit hot after that!!