ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

creaking noise

at the moment i seem to have a good range of worrying / annoying noises in my car coming from different places....

1. The "knocking under acceleration" which im guessing is down to one of the engine mounts again.... ive had it sorted twice now but I think something else has come loose....

2. Creaking noise when ive been braking hard then come off the brakes.. kind of as Im trying to unlock the seatbelt after tearing up to a junction and have made it lock me in my seat :) This noise also occurs when i pull away and if im parking on uneven ground...

3. Exhaust rattle when i first pull away or if lets say i use 2nd to pull away instead of 1st from time to time.....

So no. 1 hopefully is just the mount... its the second one Im concerned about....

Has anyone else had this.... it doesnt do it when the car is stationary....ive been trying to get it to do this this afternoon whilst it was out being washed and no matter where i lean / jump on it, there is no creaking...

but come tomorrow when im driving.. it will be back

any ideas ?

car has done 18k miles...........

I get a creaking (or sort of farting even ! :)) sound every day when I pull away after the car has been sat for a while. Sounds like the same as yor #2

Its not the pads releasing for the first time as it occurs after the car has started moving, normally within the first 5 meters ? Sounds like it comes from a specific corner of the car but not always the same one.

Only time it has done it other than setting off is under hard ish braking and the car has gone over a large rut in the road, car goes thud followed by farting / groaning noise, no change in brake performance.

My money is on something brake fluid related or the EBD system. Brakes are working brilliantly as ever and noise has been there for about a year but wasnt there for the first year. Garage couldnt get it to do it when I put it in for a service ?

Let me know if you find anything out, will do the same.

yeah.. it SOUNDS a bit like the noise u get when u are on a slight slope and holding the car on the brake and lift ur foot off a little bit... but not quite the same noise though...

anyone else have this ?

CTR EK9 turbo

I get the farting noise. It did this since new. You press the brakes really hard and afterwards there like a "brrrraarrrrb" noise from somewhere. I always thought it was the brake juice being pumped after youve compressed the brakes hard.

As for number 3 the exhausts on 172s go all the time - i wouldnt be suprised if your centre section was on the way out. Ive had mine replaced twice! cars only done 25,000 miles.

How about buying a Renault Warranty from SMC Renault. I just bought an extended one from there and mines an import. It cost me £571 and is another 2 years of claims for prematurely worn out bits. It covers everything the 1 year warranty covered i believe. If you wanna know the number to ring to get one i can tell ya.

Cheers, Si

hmmm....

well my creaking isnt a farting as such and it does it when im not even braking i.e just moving out of a parking space or something thats on an angle...

it also does it when i get out the car when i get home...... its pretty annoying along with all my other noises.....

mine just flys and sounds crazy no rattles i had a few teething problems but no its cool, try some octane booster stops knocking dude

the best description of the creaking is the noise u get when u are on a hill and are holding the car with the brake and u release it slowly and u get that creaking / scraping noise...

but this isnt coming from the brakes.... its from the corners of the car or so it seems...

CTR EK9 turbo

OK my car has all sorts of creaks. Heres a description of them all - ill try and give them in detail.

Creaking suspension/steering over bumps. You know that junction that you let me out of the other day, when i turn into that road -slowly- and go over the speed bump i get the creaking suspension. Kinda sounds like a chicken.

I get a quick squeaking from going over bumps especially when its cold and i cant tell where its coming from.

The brake noise youre talking about, ive recently noticed mine doing that also. I know what you mean now. I noticed it once and thought id left my handbrake on. Its as if the brakes are wrongly adjusted. Perhaps the pads are so close to the discs and your discs are very slightly warped - thats what i believe as mine have taken a lot of punishment and id have thought them to be warped.

Still knocks stightly under very heavy acceleration only when i go over bumps while accelerating. Not so much as a knock than as a bang! I wish the 172 was built to VW standards! although after watching watchdog id probably be looking to get a new coil!

a chicken ? :)

i almost had a mental breakdown one day coming home due to my car...

it was dark.. it was raining... it was cold...

the traffic was backed up through Wrecclesham so i cut through a little shortcut i sometimes use...

my wipers front and rear were squeaking and blatently not working.... just smearing something across the screen with every stroke...

the oncoming lights dazzled me through the smeary screen and then top it all... a cricket appeared in my right ear and squeaked loudly and pretty much constantly on and on and on...

the combination of all these noises and the bad weather almost made me lose my mind....

it was in fact the seatbelt height adjuster and not a cricket but just as lethal under the right circumstances....

my current noises arent as bad but still are very annoying... and the knocking cant be good so i need to get it fixed...

creaking i can possibly live with as I may well be changing my car in the summer.... :)

VR6man, u say the noise is coming from the corners of your car. It might be something to do with one of your suspension struts or a flexing bush. Not sure how you could prove it though.

I suffer from a similiar "farting noise" a hell of a lot aswell although I am told this has a lot to do with my diet !!!!!!!

im kinda torn between keeping the clio which is cheap to run and insure but not as fast as i would like and im not always happy

or go for the Evo which rules performance and in my opinion lookswise.....

but costs a bit more to run.. .ok so a lot more to run :)

im getting my local mechanic guy to give the car a thorough look over in a week or so as its doing my head in at the moment (if my music is off)