ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaks from rear going over speed bumps.

Recently I've noticed what sounds like the rear right of the car creaking as I come down off speed bumps.

I've had a quick look but couldn't see much as it's pissing it down at the moment. A friend commented last night the back of my car looked a little low and the rear right gap in the arch does appear to be less than on the left side however it is parked on uneven ground at the moment.

I did some searches and sounds like it's either a worn/cracked spring or more likely a leaking/cracked shock.

Has anybody had this issues before? if so what turned out to be the cause?

Thanks

BennyC

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Yeah passenger side rear was lower than the driver side, i used to get creaking and then a crashy noise as i bumped off the speed bump, if that helps?

Ibiza SC
I've got a similar problem, my car kind of 'clanks' as it comes off speed bumps, and i swear the right rear arch gap is less than the left. My right wheel also looks like its kind of 'leaning' inwards ever so slightly. I was told the clanking was the heat shield banging on the exhaust, but i've got some new springs anyway so will see if that improves things.

Yeah passenger side rear was lower than the driver side, i used to get creaking and then a crashy noise as i bumped off the speed bump, if that helps?

Yep, Cheers. Will get under it and have a look at the weekend. Is there anywhere you recommend buying them from?

probably the pig tail on the spring ,not always obvious at a glance.another car part made out of chewing gum being used by Reno (t***s)

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
My car was still under warranty from the garage that i bought it from so was sorted for free for me, but if you dont fancy spending big bucks, i'd try ebay or check the marketplace on here as springs normally come up quite often

RB FF 182
This happened to me, then my rear spring sheared... lol

Replaced both sides, and ordered new shocks to as I had a feeling they were knackered (which they were!). Completely transformed the car. I bought all my stuff from NWPerformance.

Well I've had a look just now and everything seems to be in order. Spring looks 'healthy' no signs of rust, shock looks fine, nice and sturdy, bolts at top and bottom weren't loose. It was sitting slightly lower before jacking it up, though after it seems to be sitting level, including a few bounces on the driver seat.

Driving to luton later and quite a few bumps to go over so if it persists and drops again then I guess it'll be the shocks.

There weren't any obvious signs it was cracked/leaking. What would it look like if it were? would it just be covered in oil/lubricant?