ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creeking steering wheel

is it coming from the cabin or the suspension? creaking top mounts/springs in cups is a common problem and nowt to worry about

does adjusting the height of the column affect it?

there's a universal joint in the column which could be involved

was just wondering if the height of the column has anything to do with it - plastics on the column rubbing against those on the dash?

there'll be bearings inbetween the inner and outer parts of the column as well - few things it could be

think you'd probably need to take it to someone to have a listen to it unless you can spot what's causing it yourself

if it's a column problem, they usually need replacing as a unit

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
It first started when I was turning at into a road at speed and hit a bump while turning. But seems to have become worse recently.

hmmm..

tyre wear OK that you've noticed?

could have bent something. might also be worth checking that everything's still tight. when i had my rack reconditioned, i noticed that the column pinch bolt was bent and had stripped a thread :)eek:) - that was causing a knocking noise on lock as it was slipping between the stripped threads

can be a nightmare trying to get to the bottom of things like this unfortunately

Golf GTD Mk7
it went into renault at the time, but they said they couldn't find anything.:S Will give see if i can spot anything out of the ordinary.

Covered in bird s**t
mine done this too a while ago, can't remember how I fixed it though lol. think there was something rubbing just behind the airbag iirc.

Golf GTD Mk7
Tried the steering height adjust, but no luck. Might take it to bits this weekend to see if there could be anything else rubbing.