ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup problems

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Ok, this is the month to sort out the problems that's bothering me with the Cup. Already got my small dent in the rear quarterpanel taken out for a bargain £20, so now onto the internals;

Problem One
For a while now my Cup, whilst idle, and I presume moving, is making a light 'knocking' noise, which to me sounds like a belt turning, such as the main one you can see when you open the bonnet. The noise occurs about 4 times every second (if that helps).

Problem Two
Again, whilst idle, combined with that 'knocking' noise, the car will lightly jolt, or rock about every 3-4 seconds. Not by much, but enough to make my best mate say, "What's wrong with your car?," and usually I'll reply with, "I'm not sure, but I can tell you what's wrong with your car." (He can't drive and doesn't own a car. Anyway...

...I know NOTHING about engines, other than; magic happens and it moves your car. So please help me out, rather than lose my not so hard-earned cash at Renault for them to tell me the things I brought my car in for wasn't covered/couldn't find the problem, but we changed your oil for you so that'll be £8.99 thanks. (Happened to me in my Dynamique).

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Hmm buying a renault and not having any mechanic knowledge is a bad idea. unless it's under warrenty? Knocking is usually the mounts, but it does it on tickover to?

Mondeo TDCI 130
First one could be anything mate! without hearing the noise its hard to say, there quite prone to the charcoal canister ticking in the inner wing drivers side? could it be that, belts usually make a noise or they dont if you get my drift!, second one i would say is normal, my cup is quite lumpy at idle, bit jerky so to speak, never cut out or anything though??

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mine ticks on tickover lol, but knocking sounds bad to me.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
First one could be anything mate! without hearing the noise its hard to say, there quite prone to the charcoal canister ticking in the inner wing drivers side? could it be that, belts usually make a noise or they dont if you get my drift!, second one i would say is normal, my cup is quite lumpy at idle, bit jerky so to speak, never cut out or anything though??

I might record the noise on my phone, as it's quite promintent with the bonnet open. But no, it's never cut out or anything, it just feels like it's gotten a bit worse, and it wasn;t like that when I got the car a year ago.

Also, yeah, the car has a 3 year warranty (2 years left).

edit: maybe it is more of a 'ticking' sound...

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
may well be the charcoal canister, its underneath the drivers headlight kind of area??

I assume it would be this charcoal canister knocking against somthing lightly, as opposed to you saying it's faulty or something?

Mondeo TDCI 130
they start ticking mate! my cup had one, usually on idle aswell! if it is that you need a new one to cure it! about £40! ish!