ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup restore :)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Many hours of work- could have been an episode of for the love of cars

Before
525646A8-BEED-4428-8A71-FA63DBFB1358.jpeg

today

EAB4CBD5-48F4-4668-98A1-25B643C6E5F9.jpeg

AFE7522E-D64C-4258-AC5A-1EDA36CB8DC3.jpeg

Around £3k restoration.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looks good, what cost £3k though?! Could have painted the center caps silver though!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
New Sabelt
New boss
New Brakes All round inc DS pads
New Powdercoated turinis
New Cooksports
New Cup Shocks
New NS2Rs
New Belts
New injectors + Service
Full front end paint & rear quarter
New Mats
Allignment
Airbag delete
New Splitter
Fully dedented
& of course labour to fit...

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
£3k ain't something you'd see back on a average mileage car. Good job restoring a used one rather than a low miles garage queen you would never use properly after.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
That's the problem with these now really doesn't take long to spend more than the cars value on a few bits.

Looks nice though.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Are you keeping it mate? I just can't see the logic in spending 3k (plus purchase price) on a car with 115k that's only worth about £2k?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Good luck with sale and everything, there's probably someone that wants an old blue Clio they can't park in a supermarket (for fear of ruining an otherwise clean body) lol

Land Rover
I just bought a similar 182
You sound like me!
Mine was already pretty good, in fact somebody has obviously spent money on the interior as it’s pretty much perfect.
However l soon found myself spending money!
I got a few minor dents removed, sourced a pristine carpet set (the heel pad was a bit worn on mine) replaced various under bonnet plastic parts, fitted new fog light surrounds, restored the headlamps (although they were hardly bad) got one of the Torino’s restored due to a rim dent, waxoyled underneath, and sundry other little jobs.
Fortunately l only spent £600 and l got £200 for the BGM gear shifter plus £40 for the unfathomable stereo.
Next week it’s going on for a clutch, gearbox overhaul, cam belt and water pump etc.
I guess it’s for the love of cars really as l don’t suppose l will get my money back.

Your number plate is similar to mine as well.
21F8FE5C-D67B-4584-BFC8-D484A5745F9D.jpeg
FB9C98BE-9ABA-4BFA-92B7-4A62EB228780.jpeg

Land Rover
Currently there’s little value in these cars so there’s not much incentive to restore one, unlike (say) a Williams, 205 GTi or R5 GT Turbo.
So when the market does find the Clio 182 there will be few standard ones left, as with the other cars l mentioned, and values may rise.
I say “may” as you never know with these things.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one. I bought mine to track but I’ve always been in to original clean looking cars. Some period mods but nothing silly.

On a side note, I’m not sure the Clio only boys on here know what a restoration is. This is a restoration:

f6db106a83f09d96d54175311eda2623.jpg

I think I spent £7k on that plus this purchase price. And that was me doing all the welding and panel fit myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handbags indeed!

Just thought the word "restoration" was typically associated with painstaking replacement/refurbishment of original parts etc down to individual nuts & bolts. Not bog standard servicing and the same aftermarket modifications as every other Clio.

Thread was just not quite what I was expecting given the standard-OE nature of cars usually associated with the business that's all. If it makes you feel better there are 1*2s in scrapyards that look in better condition than mine?

Land Rover
He had a front and rear respray l assume that means front bumper
The costs mount up.
And new Torinis are £800 a set
If the new front splitter was a genuine Renault one that alone is £250 + VAT

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Think it's more the word restoration over project but the word has different meanings to different people.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Whilst its certainly not a full on ground upwards restoration it certainly warrants being called a restoration due to the starting point - & the work involved getting it to sale

For the numerically challenged*

Parts

New Ktec stealth £250. Discounted
New Sabelt
New boss & PH1 Stalk. £300
New Brakes All round inc DS pads £300
New Powdercoated turinis £400
New Cooksports £125
New NS2Rs. £300
All Renault Parts £400
Full front end paint & rear quarter £700 ( Bonnet / Bumper & blend wings )

Labour £500
* Full service & belt changeover inc dephaser & sparks + Injectors
* Also Inc in the above - All new filters plus remove & reseal rocker cover.
* Fit new sabelt / Boss / Ph1 stalk & use CLIP to reprogram airbags ( delete )
* Fit new Springs all round
* Fit New Cup Shocks
* Fit Disks & pads all round plus bleed & new fluids
* Fit new Anti roll bar brackets & bushes
* Fit Ktec Stealth

Additional £100
* Renault Key + coding discounted
* Renault Supertracker allignment inc additional tow out at the front

Plus what I will be doing
* Full dedent ( from my dent man £
* 1 stage machine polish
* Full going over plus touch ups etc.
^^ Most detailers would be at least £150 for that...

So a quick wash & cooksports - lol.

Try many many hours of preperation.....

I make that about £3300 ish

Land Rover
There’s two ways to look at this.

Buy a £2000 182 Clio and spend £3000 doing it up. Total spend £5000
Keep for (say) three years.
Depreciation maybe £1000 if you look after it.
Or.
Buy a newish 2014 Clio (or similar) for £6,000 and spend next to nothing on it as it’s not needed.
Keep it three years and it’s worth £3000

So it depends on what you want. The Clio 182 is a better bet financially, even if it costs you £3-4,000 in repairs and “restoration” if you prefer it to a newer model.