ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Splitter fix

Golf GTD Mk7
Anyone who was at Oulton might have noticed my splitter got broken on the grass while parking. :mad: It broke into 4 pieces. The brakes were reasonably clean, so I used some Epoxy glue to stick all piece back together. (apologies, pics are naff as I was doing it in the loft :))

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

I was a bit disappointed with the how well it stuck together, mainly because it looked s**t.lol. So I had a brain wave and ordered some;

DSC_0180.jpg

Initially I spayed the areas where the crack are to fill in the holes. Basically by spaying it quite thick near the gaps and smearing it in with my finger. You just need to make sure there are no blobs.

DSC_0171.jpg

Once the area was significantly reduced (a couple of applications required), I started spraying the rest of the splitter with the Plastidip. A few scuffs needed covering also, but I wasn't overly bothered about that.

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

The splitter broke across the screw holes, so I needed to enlarge them slightly because when the screw was put through it cracked the glue :S.

Final result:

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

It's not perfect as I rushed it slightly and ran out of plastidip! With a bit of patience and time it could be made to look like nothing has happened to it. PlastiDip is really easy to use, and if you **** it up, it peals off easily too. It's suprisingly tough though. I was worried it would look painted, but as you can see it just looks the same as the rest of the plastic bits. So all you boys who have got broken OE splitters in the garage, £17 and you can put it back on. ;)

Painted my track wing mirror covers too.

DSC_0173.jpg

535d / t5 caravelle
job well done i say, i can see this plasidip stuff coming in usefull, how was oulton park, hoping to get on track next year, funds allowing and car up to scratch, ie decent brakes :)

Golf GTD Mk7
nice fix, you did a good job at breaking it in the first place though :S

Yeah, it was a proud moment :mad:

It won't be affected by stone chips really. It's latex like, so they will just bounce off. I did make a dent in it when moving it around, but that was before it set fully. It's pretty tough to be honest