ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup

I need some advice

My car tramlines all the time, it has been tracked, and has had a Geometry test done, and been checked out so many times, but still tramlines on smooth motorways, DCS etc. Its driving me nuts, i must constatly grab the steering when braking otherwise it will pull to the left and probably smash into something.

What causes this constant problem, i have 4 new tyres and brake pads, the wheels have been tracked and balanced, but it happens all the time, i dont really get any torque steer when thrashing the car. This even happened on my last set of tyres. I feel that i might have one of those bad cups. The steering feels very loose, and has lots of play. I just give up, ive got use to it now, its been happening for months, i have posted this matter a few times, please try and help.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 09 February 2004

Didnt you get another cup owner to drive it?
Nah, that was jpmad4it and I was gonna drive it...

If it only pulls when braking and you have checked the pads, try the discs, if one is thinner than the other it will pull to one side under braking

it mainly happens when braking, especially on uneven surfaces, but can happen on smooth motorways etc.

I have just been to Kwik Fit, they told me the tracking was fine.

The tyre pressure was 28psi on the fronts, and 30psi on the rears.

I checked the manual in the car , the front pressure should be 33psi on the fronts and 31psi on the back.

The discs are fine, and the pads are new on the front and all the tyres are new, if any of you live local i would be more than happy for one of you to test drive the car i live in west london and work right next door to the renault london west garage on the A40 near acton, just to compare with your cups. Renault blamed all the tramlining on the Avon tyres i had on there before. Avon want to collect the tyres to do there own tests then report back to renault.

Lionel Richie

Dont take it too KWIK sh*t!!!!! Get it to northampton motorsport (Ask for Roger in Alignment Dynamics, This bloke knows his stuff)

Rog has dealt with cars with problems like this before, main dealers check em out, say the cars fine (still drives sh*t)

Rog gets the car and finds the camber is all over the place!!!!!!!

Also someone posted a thread earlier about a 172 with a cracked spring, might be worth checking!!

The reason why i took the car to kwik fit is becuase renault are even sh*tter when tracking cars, everytime i have tracked my car at renault it always comes back worse.

My steering wheel even hangs to the left when driving in a straight line, they cant even sort that out

The springs are fine , they checked tham out last week

Fred2001 how much would they charge to sort out these problems.

Tappd'd RS

mine was bad until I replaced the contis @ the front - I dont think it was ever as bad as you describe it tho - hope you can get it sorted.

996 Carrera

When I had a slow puncture the tramlining was much worse than normal. I was down to 15psi when I noticed though!

Try putting more air in the tyres - I run 35 at the front and 33 at the rear.

If that doesnt work, take it to a local tyre place with all the laser tracking gear. I paid £30 for the wifes car so not too dear (if you dont mind a trip up the M4 I use pro-tyre on Bath Road in Slough). Make sure they use the settings for the Cup though - not the 172 as Im sure you know theyre different.

Good luck

mine tramlines but not as much as yours, also the steering wheel never seems straight when im going in a straight line not by much tho :S

gald its not just mine

Does it pull to your left? Ive had this before. It was because one of the suspension springs were tighter than the other which causes more friction on one side of the car, so when you brake you cause even more friction on the road and it pulls. Perhaps one of them is cracked or has moved out of alignment. If ity is the suspension then it is better to change a pair of them to get the balance right because they lose their tightness over time and wont be even.

A broken spring could cause a pull to the left ,but if the car tram lines then i doubt its anything like a spring. I may be wrong, but for it to tramline, something has to be loose and the wheels need to steer themselves. Need to look at control rods, rack, column, and anything else that might have play in it. Can you physically wobble the front wheels with your hands in any way? Pulling to one side (car gradually moving to one side) is different to tramlining (car appears to steer itself left AND right over gradient changes in the road). If the steering is loose id deffinately say it is something like column, rack or control rods.

The tyre pressure was 28psi on the fronts, and 30psi on the rears.

I checked the manual in the car , the front pressure should be 33psi on the fronts and 31psi on the back.

WRONG !!!!!

What are you doing with those tyre pressures? being front wheel drive you need more in the fronts.

try: 35 front / 31 rear