ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What on earth is wrong with this PC?

F82 M4
Hey folks,

Right I'm wondering if someone could please shed some light. We've spent many hours researching online and trying lots of different things.

Basically my house mates PC wouldn't boot. When we turn the PC on it just kept restarting after a few seconds of loading, and repeating that process. After 20 mins or so it would finally boot properly and manage to load into windows. The PC had absolutely no problems at all post bios, and never restarted once in Windows.

We then naturally tried the common things such as removing RAM, GPU etc. Even with nothing plugged into the motherboard it was still the same.

We then went out and bought a new PSU. However, the same problem occurs. Finally it must be the motherboard, so we've just gone out and got a new motherboard... same issue!

What on earth could it be? We've even tried my processor in his PC and it's the same issue. We have absolutely nothing plugged in to the new motherboard and it's doing the same. Just restarting over and over.

Is it possible that his CPU could be breaking motherboards or something? We've honestly ran out of all ideas.

Any help or suggestions would be great

F82 M4
Dodgy case causing some electrical short / weirdness? 🔨

Even bought a brand new case today and still the same

'chkdsk /f c:' to rule out any corrupt files could be worth ago, if all hardware has been ruled out it could be the drive or software?

Doesn't work with no drives in mate. Literally nothing plugged in.

When we bought a new PSU and tried the new one it did the same however we ended up taking it back. Maybe the old PSU is breaking the motherboards maybe? I really have no idea

F82 M4
I'll try my PSU tomorrow. However because we've already used the old PSU on the new motherboard we may have broke it? Does that happen?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
What PSU / Mobo is it? There is a generation of Corsair green PSUs that had some funky pin layout from what I read on a reddit post.

F82 M4
Thanks for the reply guys.

So we went out and bought another brand new PSU, motherboard and RAM. We left the motherboard outside of the case and plugged in the RAM and PSU. Also connected the cooler fan...

Same problem!! I've tried it on different plugs in the house and surge protected ones etc. Bear in mind my other house mates PC is next to his and fires up fine. So does mine upstairs too. Also there's absolutely no other electrical problems with anything else in the house.

Is it possible that a single plug socket is just killing his stuff? Even though other electrical stuff plugged into it works fine?

WTFBBQ

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the reply guys.

So we went out and bought another brand new PSU, motherboard and RAM. We left the motherboard outside of the case and plugged in the RAM and PSU. Also connected the cooler fan...

Same problem!! I've tried it on different plugs in the house and surge protected ones etc. Bear in mind my other house mates PC is next to his and fires up fine. So does mine upstairs too. Also there's absolutely no other electrical problems with anything else in the house.

Is it possible that a single plug socket is just killing his stuff? Even though other electrical stuff plugged into it works fine?

WTFBBQ
Have you changed the actual power lead you're using?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Last time I had this issue it was CPU related. It would take a few reboots to get into windows. It was as if the CPU needed heat in it to work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Long shot - does the PC restart with a blue screen? We had one here the other day that would randomly b**ch-fit with no determinable pattern. Usual suspects of memory, HDD, power etc were looked at and verified as being ok.

Turned out to be the actual SATA port on the motherboard - it's knackered. Swapped the HDD to a different port and all was well.

F82 M4
Have you reinstalled windows after fitting these new motherboards?
No SSD's or HDD's even plugged in mate. It's restarting every 3 seconds

Have you changed the actual power lead you're using?

Yeah mate we've tried different leads and in different sockets all over the house

can you get your hands on a UPS just to put something between the plug and the PC?

My mate is going to come round later (electrician) and test my sockets

You've bought so much s**t it sounds like you might as well just build a new PC.

Tell me about it!

Long shot - does the PC restart with a blue screen? We had one here the other day that would randomly b**ch-fit with no determinable pattern. Usual suspects of memory, HDD, power etc were looked at and verified as being ok.

Turned out to be the actual SATA port on the motherboard - it's knackered. Swapped the HDD to a different port and all was well.

Does't even get to a blue screen. Absolutely nothing. Just turns off and on every 3 seconds. We've tried 3 brand new motherboards now :tongueout:

I have a feeling that the plug is just frying things. I don't dare plug my PC into it lol.