ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cut Away Front Seat Airbag wires. Car now wont turn over?

Hi All,

Wondering if any of you could shed some light.

Ive been stripping the car further, had the wires for the standard seats just lay on the floor. Also some wires going to some sort of module attached to the bottom of the car under the doors which said 'airbag' on. ive cut these wires back.

Now the car wont turn over? Anyone experienced this?, have i cut through some sort of key earthing point?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Having crashed a Renault Megane to the point that all the airbags went off, I can confirm that once they have all gone pop, the car won’t start afterwards.
If you’ve snipped the wires that send signal back to the ECU (like the pre tensioners for example) then there’s every chance this is the cause.

Could also be a flat battery??

Why are you just cutting wires anyway?! I’m a rough b*****d at the best of times but even I don’t do that.

Having crashed a Renault Megane to the point that all the airbags went off, I can confirm that once they have all gone pop, the car won’t start afterwards.
If you’ve snipped the wires that send signal back to the ECU (like the pre tensioners for example) then there’s every chance this is the cause.

Could also be a flat battery??

Why are you just cutting wires anyway?! I’m a rough b*****d at the best of times but even I don’t do that.

Its mainly used as a track car. The car has bucket seats, just trying to neaten it all up. Wanted to remove the wires running across under the seats and tidy it all up. Maybe i should just remove the airbag ECU?

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Good luck with that. The ECU and uch are all linked together you have to be very careful what you remove out of the wiring. If you know somebody with an RS Tuner with the airbag module you can turn them all off to basically tel the ECU it has no airbags or pretentioners. This may help but more than likely not.

It's all linked to the immobiliser fuel cut off, alerts.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Out curiosity if you unplug the seat airbags but leave all the wiring intact does this cause starting issues? Or is the issue only when you start cutting the loom out

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Well that's what I assumed. So what do people do when they got bucket seats?

Im not looking to do so. Just curious

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Out curiosity if you unplug the seat airbags but leave all the wiring intact does this cause starting issues? Or is the issue only when you start cutting the loom out

My wiring is still in place but tucked away, no issues other than initially dash lights until I got them coded out of the Airbag ECU for MOT reasons, plus any dash lights do my head in.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Shouldnt make a difference disconnecting the plugs under the seat, will just bring up a light.

My seats are out the car right now with the plugs disconnected, I will try turn the car over in a bit to confirm.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Theres an RS Tuner with airbag module in the for sale section.
Can use it to turn all of your airbags setting off. Then you wont have any lights on. Obviously only if you are removing ALL the airbags.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I cable tied all the wiring sensors and uch up behind the top dash, all worked fine.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I cut all my airbag wires back to the dash and removed passenger airbag to tidy up the wiring ( as I had fitted bucket seats and car only used for hillclimbing though has to be road legal)and all still worked but the airbag light did come on, so as numbers_ just said worth checking fuses - there are several ways to sort the airbag light all well documented on the forum.