ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV Boot/clip

Clio MK 4
As i was cleaning the car on saturday before FCS one of my alloys had loads of CV grease. So i'm assuming it split and needs replacing.

The steering feels the same and i cant hear any creaking so drove down to FCS like it was and done around 300miles today.

Do you think I may have made things worse?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Jack & check FTW mate :)

I have a n/s outer CV boot to replace on mine - £13 will be a lot cheaper than a new driveshaft!

53 Clio's & counting
As i was cleaning the car on saturday before FCS one of my alloys had loads of CV grease. So i'm assuming it split and needs replacing.

The steering feels the same and i cant hear any creaking so drove down to FCS like it was and done around 300miles today.

Do you think I may have made things worse?

Yes this happened to me, the clip came off and i didnt catch it in time, and wrecked my cv joint, i cant believe you knew about it but still drove 300 miles!?

Your cv joints are rotating at a huge speed, and yours would have been running on very little grease, so dependant on how much grease was left the damage is possibly already done and your joint might fail so get it checked, mine failed at 50 mph and nearly locked my wheel up, very dangerous, im stunned you thought it would be ok :S

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
I just had my MOT today and it was pointed out to me that my n/s CV Clip was missing. THe guy was dead on about it though. Still passed me because it wasnt seeping grease everywhere. Gona get sorted tomorrow night.

Clio MK 4
i'm scared now lol. Thing that pisses me off with cv boots is that this will be the 3rd cv boot i'm replacing on the same side. Any ideas why???

Nimbus Megane R26
Christophe your not alone mate. In 2 years iv replaced about 5 cv boots and 1 lower arm when the cv joint was completly fked.

Iv been told 172/182 underneath is basically a standard chassis that they use for the 1.2 and the cv boot area is the same, so when you rag it off the line it cant deal with all the torque and so it twists and moves about, and over time can cause the clips to come off the grease to come out of the boot..

Clio MK 4
such a pain in the arse. It just weird how its always the same side. I've even had to change the driveshaft a year back on that side. Never had to replace the drivers side.

53 Clio's & counting
i'm scared now lol. Thing that pisses me off with cv boots is that this will be the 3rd cv boot i'm replacing on the same side. Any ideas why???

The reason why is the boot is plastic, not rubber, so only gives limited movement, coulped with the clips Renault use are not the best means the clips can come off fairly easy. Iv replaced my clips with jubilee clips, nice and tight and should be fine

Christophe your not alone mate. In 2 years iv replaced about 5 cv boots and 1 lower arm when the cv joint was completly fked.

Iv been told 172/182 underneath is basically a standard chassis that they use for the 1.2 and the cv boot area is the same, so when you rag it off the line it cant deal with all the torque and so it twists and moves about, and over time can cause the clips to come off the grease to come out of the boot..

lol not sure where you heard that fella, see my above comment

Nimbus Megane R26
garage told me. Lots of parts of that area of the car are made for a 1.2 .. they drop a 2.0 in it and some standard parts cant deal with torque.

53 Clio's & counting
lol mate it doesn't have any 1.2 bits, everything in 'that area' is uprated, ie wishbones, driveshafts, track rods etc etc, whoever told you that was having you on

"Navy" N17 TWO
Renault told me the track-rods are the same in all the Clio's as I was pricing them recently.
Can't see much else being the same part though

53 Clio's & counting
I was told they are different matey, in fact when i replaced mine Renault sent the wrong ones out twice lol

renaultsport 182
i found that the metal clips on my cv joints had come off both sides.. i cought it in time tho and i just put on cable ties and they are still holding great.. a problem i have is the topmounts creak a bit on full lock... ??? anyone help??

53 Clio's & counting
i found that the metal clips on my cv joints had come off both sides.. i cought it in time tho and i just put on cable ties and they are still holding great.. a problem i have is the topmounts creak a bit on full lock... ??? anyone help??

Did you check to make sure the joints had plenty of grease in mate?

Top mounts do tend to creak, there are a few methods to fix, have a search mate

is the boot on 197's plastic? Or did they realise this was s**te and changed them to rubber?

That im not sure mate im sure someone will be able to tell us

renaultsport 182
Did you check to make sure the joints had plenty of grease in mate?

Top mounts do tend to creak, there are a few methods to fix, have a search mate

That im not sure mate im sure someone will be able to tell us

yeah i stuffed lots of grease in there and tied them up..... i will search for a fix

PH1 172 Sport
I had to replace my drivers side boot clip the other day as it had come off. I'm not sure how long it had been off but there was still grease in the joint. How can I check that its not damaged?

dont even think twice about replacing a boot if its needed, my cv joint has gone dry on my cup and a whole drive shaft is now needed at the priceley sum of £220 as you cant replace a joint on a cup. Happy days

2016 Audi RS3
dont even think twice about replacing a boot if its needed, my cv joint has gone dry on my cup and a whole drive shaft is now needed at the priceley sum of £220 as you cant replace a joint on a cup. Happy days

Who told you that the entire shaft needed to be replaced?

Clio MK 4
Just found out my cv boot had a hole in it hence why all the grease came out!

O and the garage said they will clean it all up and fit a new one for FREE!!!