ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV Joint

Black 172
My car (172ff) recently went in for an MOT and although it passed. It had an advisory note on it about my N/s cv joint, its been making a horrible noise when i turn tight corners and its steadily getting worse. I intend to replace both sides, is this easily done?. Also where is the best place to get the kits?

Thank you !

Black 172
Anyone got any idea where I can get them from?. Surely someone has got them from somewhere other than Renault?. I have called GSF and they cant get them

fad

Clio 182 FF
I'm in the same boat and I've been told I have to buy a complete driveshaft :(

Surely you can get the individual CV?

fad

Clio 182 FF
Insane just rang up the local dealer and its £236 for a complete driveshaft and you can't claim back a surcharge for your old unit :(

fad

Clio 182 FF
I rang two dealerships and they both told me that they only provided brand new units and didnt offer exchange units. They said its because its a Cup (extreme) packed car.

Is there anything you can do?

Black 172
Just what I needed :) £5! I thought it was going to be expensive when I got told it needed replacing.

This is the part which is covered in oil right? I got told mine needs replacing because of this... ?

I think your talking about a cv boot not the joint. If the boot comes off and has been off for a long period it causes damage to the joint (this is what has happened to mine). Now i get creaking on full lock and its getting worse, i dont want to pay £200 for a cv joint from Renault as that's a total rip off. There must be somewhere who does them

i think the line you'll get on here is that they're Renault only and that you need to buy a complete shaft. when i last rang, was told that they've stopped doing exchange shafts (?)

Renault won't supply the outer CV only (common in the industry), and no one seems to sell reconditioned CVs (just complete shafts). it's a bit of a 'mare as the shafts are apparently all different between the RS models and buying a recon one from somewhere like ECP/GSF might not give you exactly what you need - could try one to see if it matches yours though

otherwise, best bet is probably to go for a good s/h shaft, or contact a reconditioner

the current market for these (Renault only if you want to be sure) is going to be a problem for lots of people as these age; hopefully one of the bigger aftermarkets like ECP/GSF will sort it out, although wouldn't count on it given that they're all different and there'll be limited demand