ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV removal uncertainty

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
So I have the OS driveshaft off my 182, going to replace the stretchy boot previous owner put on as it's looking old and perished.

Now I'm not sure the best approach. I'd rather put on a proper thermoplastic boot, but forum posts all seem to contradict how to do this.

Some say to knock the outer CV off with a big hammer, others say this is impossible and you've got to take the inner CV off and slide it on that way. Other posts again say the inner CV boot isn't serviceable, so I'm not sure I want to try taking that off?

If smashing the outer CV off with a big hammer is the way forward, how likely am I to destroy the CV in the process? [emoji23]

Part of me says the crappy stretchy boot lasted over a year, might as well put another on and be done with it...

Cheers all!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

monaco 172
For the sake of 50 quid I'd just stick a new shaft on it from the likes of J&r

I didn't know that the joints weren't serviceable to be honest, but if that is the case then that sort of explains why nowhere seems to sell the joints on their own for the 182

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
For the sake of 50 quid I'd just stick a new shaft on it from the likes of J&r

I didn't know that the joints weren't serviceable to be honest, but if that is the case then that sort of explains why nowhere seems to sell the joints on their own for the 182
Cheers for the response mate. Just seems a shame to get rid of a good part for a bit of rubber!

£50 quid is dead cheap though... Does the part finder on the j&r website pull up the right shaft for cup packed cars? And guessing abs rings are supplied separately at that price?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Put a J&R stretchy boot on, cutting off 2 of the ribs.
I've run one for 3 years now on one side and its perfect.

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Put a J&R stretchy boot on, cutting off 2 of the ribs.
I've run one for 3 years now on one side and its perfect.
Cheers Louis, good feedback. The stretchy I'm taking off does look like it has been there for a good few years to be fair. Certainly haven't touched it in the 18 months I've had the car.

I got a J&R boot on order anyway, figured if I didn't use it on the car might be useful for my van at some point. Might throw it on and just keep an eye on it for now.

Will replace both the shafts at some point but think I've spent enough on replacing all the suspension for one month. [emoji23]

Last edited:

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Faffed about with the stretchy boot today, lubing it and the cone all up, then the bleddy thing split when stretching it over. [emoji849]

Thinking screw it, I'll probably just get a new shaft anyway, I decided to give knocking the CV off a go. Easiest thing ever, took about 30 seconds with a medium hammer. Gave it some taps straight on the metal of the inner race and it started moving straight away.

For those trying to figure it out like I was - the 182 cv's don't have a clip you pry apart, just tap it off. Looks like on installation the clip will go off the end of the splines in the CV and expand, locking the lot in to place.
ba3b5722a22dc9770b14c9cda066af2f.jpg

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Faffed about with the stretchy boot today, lubing it and the cone all up, then the bleddy thing split when stretching it over. [emoji849]

Thinking screw it, I'll probably just get a new shaft anyway, I decided to give knocking the CV off a go. Easiest thing ever, took about 30 seconds with a medium hammer. Gave it some taps straight on the metal of the inner race and it started moving straight away.

For those trying to figure it out like I was - the 182 cv's don't have a clip you pry apart, just tap it off. Looks like on installation the clip will go off the end of the splines in the CV and expand, locking the lot in to place.View attachment 1488357

Nightmare. I've has zero problems with those boots!

monaco 172

For those trying to figure it out like I was - the 182 cv's don't have a clip you pry apart, just tap it off. Looks like on installation the clip will go off the end of the splines in the CV and expand, locking the lot in to place.View attachment 1488357

Exact same setup as most of CV joints then.

God knows where the rhumors that they aren't rebuildable came from. Unless its just the fact the a new joint is hard to come by.

I replaced the outer CV on my civic with a shaftec CV joint, same method as above with the circlip and it's still going strong a year later.

Might be worth seeing if they can supply the part for the clio

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Nightmare. I've has zero problems with those boots!
Yeah not ideal, not sure if there was a defect in the boot or I just messed it up somehow. If I ever use em again I'll just order two as cheap as they are!

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Exact same setup as most of CV joints then.

God knows where the rhumors that they aren't rebuildable came from. Unless its just the fact the a new joint is hard to come by.

I replaced the outer CV on my civic with a shaftec CV joint, same method as above with the circlip and it's still going strong a year later.

Might be worth seeing if they can supply the part for the clio

Yep no trouble at all. Did see one poster found a source for CV's a few years ago but the supplier doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Would be interesting to strip down a shaftec or j&r shaft and see how similar their parts are to the OE ones.

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
JR shafts for clio all one size, they do come with the two sizes of ABS rings though for cup and non cup versions.