ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cylinder damage

Just a quickie - after i had got the head off me valver i did notice one dent in the third cylinder where a valve had hit when the cam belt went - obviously i have put a new head on and the chip was only about half the diametre of the valve that hit but all the same it has bugged me! Will it really have an adverse affect on performance or anything? It didnt think it would?

my limited knowledge on bores is basicaly if its visable by the human eye it will be trouble, as i see it the possible problems will come from ring wear and oil consumption and intime a loss of compression, running a compression test on all 4 cylinders would be a good thing to do.

did you renew the rings or was it simply a head swap?

was there any metal projecting from the bore or was it an indent?

How did you find swapping the head? was its as hard as people suggest?

Well, got a haynes manual and just followed that with my dads help - it really and truly wasnt that bad even tho valvas are hard to find space to work on - it was simply just a dent - had a proffesional mechanic have a look (family friend) and he said that he thought it would be fine. Just smoothed the dent off and left it. Was just a head swap with new cam belt and gaskets etc. There wasnt any metal projecting from the bore and i havent noticed any problems.... I learnt a lot now that ive changed the head!!!!!! Just follow the rules of take ure time - get the right tools, follow the instructions and improvise where necessary - it took a month of weekends bit it is sooooo worth it! Except my seatbelt has just broken - doh!

It took a while - the main prob was getting the right tools - my neighbour had a torx rench which was helpful - the hardest part was getting the covers back on and realighning the down pipe to the manifold - other than that tho it was all pretty self explanatory - the head weighs a ton!! Since ive been driving it tho ive been expecting it to break again - cant quite relax yet! spose it comes with the job tho!!!! I keep thinking im down on power but i must be imagining it - valvas dont pull very well at low revs anyway!

It was just at the top of the piston - as u probably know, the pistons on a valva have slight indentations drilled into them by the factory for the valves to hit safely without causing any damange - i had a slight dent just bellow the factory drilled dent - just wondered if it would be a prob cause like i said - i keep thninking im down on power!

how big....crescnet shaped or shperical?

The cutouts are there to prevent ANY contact between piston and valve.

If its not too big there is no problem.