ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DA advise- First time correction and scratch removal

Clio 172
Over the weekend some inconsiderate arse has hit my car and scuffed my rear bumper pretty badly. :quiet: I planned to get my hands on a DAS-6 and go over the car at some stage to get some of the age swirls out but this has forced my hand.

Now I have borrowed a DAS-6 pro, iv never used a DA properly before and I need some advice/guidance.

First of all, Pads:

the DA I have borrowed has the orange chemical guys hex pad but I want to get a couple of others to do the car properly. From what I know, the orange one is quite a harsh pad so what other pads should I look at getting to buff the scratches out the top coat and then finish/shine the paint back up again to give it a fresh look?!

I am thinking of getting a green one to follow on from the orange and then a blue one to apply the glaze & wax sealant

Second of all, Polish:

I have some Meguiars #105 - Ultra Cut Compound and a bottle of Meguiars #205 - Ultra Finishing Polish that I was planning on using. The #105 on the orange pad, and the #205 on the green one followed by some chemical guys glaze on the blue before waxing the car by hand like I always do!!

Are there any recommendations or alternatives I should be looking for?! The car has a pretty heavy coat of wax on there from a very recent wash, what's the best way of stripping this off the car? If I'm using a DA polisher I'm going to go all out and strip the car back then start a fresh with a cleanse correct and seal!

Cheers in advance,
Jack

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Hexlogic orange, green, white cover pretty much all bases. Black if you're keen to use DA for waxes and sealants as you can use it for polishing of soft paint also.

Stick with the megs polish and see how you get on, vary the compound and pad combo till you fi d something that works well with the paint in question.

As for stripping wax, starting to machine polish will strip old waxes off instantly for it to start on the clear coat.

What you should be doing though is a thorough wash and decontamination process to remove all bonded grime. Wash, de tar, de iron, clay etc

Clio 172
Hexlogic orange, green, white cover pretty much all bases. Black if you're keen to use DA for waxes and sealants as you can use it for polishing of soft paint also.

Stick with the megs polish and see how you get on, vary the compound and pad combo till you fi d something that works well with the paint in question.

As for stripping wax, starting to machine polish will strip old waxes off instantly for it to start on the clear coat.

What you should be doing though is a thorough wash and decontamination process to remove all bonded grime. Wash, de tar, de iron, clay etc

Cheers for the reply. So you're saying white would be better than blue!? Iv got some clay and a good shampoo to wash the car off. I will invest in some de tar and ironx when I'm buying the pads as well.

Jack

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I don't like applying wax and sealants with DA so I wouldn't use the blus pad, the black pad can be used for finishing and is good for soft paints, plus its soft enough to apply glazes, pre wax cleansers and wax and sealants should you wish. so it becomes more useful than blue so may be a better option

Clio 172
Clean your car are out of stock of the black pads at the moment. Where else can I get them from?! Would rather order the lot in one go from one place that people trust, so I can make a good start on the car. :) your help is appreciated, I only ever use clean your car and I'm not sure where else to shop from.

Jack

Golf GT & A4 Avant
elite car care stock most brands including CG hex pads IIRC. theyre pretty good for cost and shipping times as well

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Clean your car are out of stock of the black pads at the moment. Where else can I get them from?! Would rather order the lot in one go from one place that people trust, so I can make a good start on the car. :) your help is appreciated, I only ever use clean your car and I'm not sure where else to shop from.

Jack

Roll up & shine have plenty of pads in stock. Or perfectly cleaned do aswell

Astra VXR NBG ED
I seriously doubt your car will need an Orange pad unless it has been resprayed!

As always start off with a soft combo and work your way up if your not getting the desired results!

Remember the real skill is correcting whilst taking away as little clear coat as possible, not how quickly you hack through the clear coat!

I would say start with 205 on a white pad, you can even finish down with the same pad by slowing your machine down and releasing pressure. If that doesn't give you enough bite, step up to the green pad!

Alternatively you could spritz your white pad with water which in turn will make the compound slightly more abrasive by diluting the lubricants! Preferred method would be the change in plan!

As mentioned above ensure the full prewash/decon stepsbare taken to ensure clean panels to work on!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
B17BLG Renaultsport paint is typically quite hard, very different to standard Renault paint. For serious defects an orange pad can come in quite handy

Astra VXR NBG ED
B17BLG Renaultsport paint is typically quite hard, very different to standard Renault paint. For serious defects an orange pad can come in quite handy

Agreed, also machine dependant on what combo your going to use with how much heat your generating.

I'd still start off using a softer than expected compound to see what results you get. Nothing worse than a strike through patch starring you in the face however unlikely it may seem!

Clio 172
I seriously doubt your car will need an Orange pad unless it has been resprayed!

As always start off with a soft combo and work your way up if your not getting the desired results!

Remember the real skill is correcting whilst taking away as little clear coat as possible, not how quickly you hack through the clear coat!

I would say start with 205 on a white pad, you can even finish down with the same pad by slowing your machine down and releasing pressure. If that doesn't give you enough bite, step up to the green pad!

Alternatively you could spritz your white pad with water which in turn will make the compound slightly more abrasive by diluting the lubricants! Preferred method would be the change in plan!

As mentioned above ensure the full prewash/decon stepsbare taken to ensure clean panels to work on!

I don't plan to use the orange pad. It's not mine for one thing so don't fancy getting it all mucked up with my polish! Iv not placed any orders just yet for anything, just shopping around for the best deals on the things I want/need to refill my car cleaning bag!

- pads (white, green, black)
- Quick detail/clay lube
- IronX
- Wash Mitten
- micro fiber cloths
- headlight revive kit

That should see me with a better scratch free and swirl corrected paint finish. I should really be concentrating on getting new tyres and the cambelt replaced as well! :/ bloody car is costing me a fortune!

Jack

Astra VXR NBG ED
I don't plan to use the orange pad. It's not mine for one thing so don't fancy getting it all mucked up with my polish! Iv not placed any orders just yet for anything, just shopping around for the best deals on the things I want/need to refill my car cleaning bag!

- pads (white, green, black)
- Quick detail/clay lube
- IronX
- Wash Mitten
- micro fiber cloths
- headlight revive kit

That should see me with a better scratch free and swirl corrected paint finish. I should really be concentrating on getting new tyres and the cambelt replaced as well! :/ bloody car is costing me a fortune!

Jack

Yep & I really like the 105/205 combo, infact i love 205 for an all rounder really. Currently using scholl compounds but that was only because i had free samples from waxstock last year and got me hooked on them

Golf GT & A4 Avant
How do you getting on with the Scholl compounds? I've just started using them with rotary and having to change my ways from using menzerna

Astra VXR NBG ED
How do you getting on with the Scholl compounds? I've just started using them with rotary and having to change my ways from using menzerna

I like them, really oily and can be worked for ages.

I tested them with a flex and was pretty good to use.

However Menz are really good too! The compounds i would use would be Megs105/205, Menz & Scholl. Don't think you can go wrong with any of those with hex pads.

Which menz combo's you using?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I always used the older versions of menz, 3.02, 203s, and 106fa IIRC.

Finding that scholl working time is quite short, especially S3 and 17 in comparison to menzerna

Astra VXR NBG ED
I always used the older versions of menz, 3.02, 203s, and 106fa IIRC.

Finding that scholl working time is quite short, especially S3 and 17 in comparison to menzerna

S17 is my main go to product! Maybe the menz is even oiler than Scholl! I did come from using 105/205 which I found dried out far quicker!