ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dailying a 182 over the winter? Average prices?

Mk1
Hi chaps, so recently I got my S2k and whilst it's brilliant I'm finding its far more suited to B road blasts and not 12 mile commutes mainly in 1st and 2nd gear. Also I have a fair few jobs I'd like to have a go at on it and would be good to have a second car that runs..

I've found most cars with softtops in general are pretty bad in the Winter due to letting the smallest amount of condensation through which can result in a steamy windscreen.. not the good kind of steamy either! PITA!

So now once again I think I'm going to have to itch the scratch and just get a 182 for daily duties especially for the winter months as I think they offer good value

Looking at ebay sold prices 182s really do vary. Sheds can be had from like £500 but I would be looking for something half decent, ideally with belts done to save yet another car bill...

Would £2/2.5k be enough? Ideally one with turinis and good tyres on would be perfect, non moon mileage and half decent history, will be keeping my eyes peeled once again!

What are they like in the snow? If its anything like last winter [emoji2357][emoji2357] poopy time!

Cheers [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No real problem using a 182 in the winter months as long as its got decent tyres. And for £2k you should get a decent example with belts recently done. Bit of an odd winter car choice IMO, especially with an S2K in the garage. I'd be looking at something AWD and comfortable with a bit of poke, but if you've got an itch get it scratched!

Mk1
No real problem using a 182 in the winter months as long as its got decent tyres. And for £2k you should get a decent example with belts recently done. Bit of an odd winter car choice IMO, especially with an S2K in the garage. I'd be looking at something AWD and comfortable with a bit of poke, but if you've got an itch get it scratched!
Haha your not wrong, i have been trying to think of something AWD but everything seems a bit too boring? Plus then it's going to be just as expensive, maintence costs, plus the added worry of someone hitting it/skidding during winter (I have a hilly commute) I just sort of want something I don't need to care as much about, having 2 cars smashed up in car parks now by retardation members of the public [emoji83][emoji48][emoji33]

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
£2k will get you a good ish one. I daily'd one for 5 years, 3 of those years ok toyo proxes!

Haha your not wrong, i have been trying to think of something AWD but everything seems a bit too boring? Plus then it's going to be just as expensive, maintence costs, plus the added worry of someone hitting it/skidding during winter (I have a hilly commute) I just sort of want something I don't need to care as much about, having 2 cars smashed up in car parks now by retardation members of the public [emoji83][emoji48][emoji33]

You can pick up a Mazda 6 MPS FOR £2-2.5K these days...260hp/260 ft-lb and AWD, also bose sound system, xenons etc. Owned one for 2 winters and it was great and never missed a beat.

Listerine & Poledo
At £2k anything fancier than a Focus 1.6 is likely going to come with a series of future invoices.

As for convertibles in the winter. I did that for years. Hard top and air con, job done. That said, piling boredom-miles onto an S2000 seems a waste. Bodywork wont appreciate all the salt and grit either.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I drove mine in all weathers and it was fine. It's cheap and cheerful, so it won't matter too much if something happens to it, so don't see why not really. Not the most refined car ever but, like you say, finding something bigger and more comfortable that isn't dull can be difficult.

Listerine & Poledo
Given we're talking about a work commute, what's there to get excited about? By the sounds of it, you'd have an equal amount of "fun" on your commute in a Honda Jazz as you would a Corvette Z07.
80hp or 800, you can sit in that stationary traffic just the same.

Keep the S2K for fun and weekends. Then use 2k on a respectable, normal daily that costs buttons to run.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Used mine daily for 6 years and fine, cheap to run and rewarding to drive. However bit s**t in snow and that's just on a flat a road commute.

Also if you're literally first/second gear stop start on your commute every single day I'd avoid a 182 clutch, lol, or remember leg day.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I've done kind of the same thing, taken my main car off the road for some long overdue work and bought a cheap 182.

Mine was 1K, 74K miles and is due a set of belts soon. Best 1K i've spent in years. Nippy enough to make the commute fun (when traffic allows) and super economical, 30mpg for me from Surrey to Chiswick without trying, 40mpg if I drive like a nun - I'm impressed.

Because it was so cheap, and I've kind of decided to keep it for a while it will be getting belts and suspension over the next few weeks - so 2Kish all in. I am on the hunt for some Turnis and will keep the standard wheels for some winter tyres, I suspect with winter tyres on they are as good as a FWD can get sans LSD.

Rob,

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Used mine 11 years daily and had no problems even in the winter apart from when it was broke lol. But now I have an E46 330 tourer which again is no problem in the snow.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
To add, I'm thinking about selling the 'main car' as the Clio is so good, that way I can eventually get something super daft (ie, doesn't have to be commuter friendly) and have the clio for traffic + occasional track day.

Bare in mind this is all coming from a very non French car person, but always liked the idea of a quick French hatch - I feel converted haha.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Used mine 11 years daily and had no problems even in the winter apart from when it was broke lol. But now I have an E46 330 tourer which again is no problem in the snow.

Have you used it in anger in the snow yet? I found mine to be a bit of a handful at times. My old E36 was fantastic in the snow maybe the wide E46 wheels don't help?

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
I did a little yeah and tbh it did better than I thought it would and that was with pretty deep snow going up hills. The Clio I had was just as good but would get stuck going up the same part. If I had more money o definitely would have another 182 though lol

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Happy days. I just got stuck literally everywhere, mine is SMG though and doesn't pull away particularly smoothly. Bought snow tyres in the end which made the world of difference. Highly recommend them to any winter warriors.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Ahh mines a manual so possibly helped alittle. If we carry on having winters like we do. Will probably invest in some tbh.