ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damaged alloys, what to do??

Da

Less
basically I had 2 new tyres fitted yesterday by a national mobile tyre fitter. I specified they had to be careful with the rims and I showed the guy how the centre caps pop off the alloys. He fitted the tyres in about 30 mins I paid him and off he went. The rims look fine on first inspection and I was initially pleased with the job :approve: I checked all round the rims for scratches/chips etc and nothing, but then noticed the centre caps. On both alloys it looks like he has used a screwdriver (or similar) to pirise them off, rather than pulling them off as he should of done. It's not massive damage, but my rims are (were) perfect so I was mighty pissed off! :mad: Anyhow rang the head office to complain and he basically said he can either refund me some ££'s by way of compensation or he can have them refurbed. I'm well aware of the difficulties in refurbing the alloys due to colour matching. He asked how much refund I would be happy with. I told him how much and he said it was too much.

So what to do...? Do I hold out for some ££'s, get him to refurb them and hope for the best, or do I press for 2 new alloys??

:dapprove:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
at the minute i would go for the money personally as i could do with some more, however i would either get them refurbed but get a garantee that the colour will be a perfect match or hold out for some new wheels, depends what you think you can get away with.

if the fitter agrees you told him how to take the caps off then i would say you are entitled to either a refurb or some new wheels.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
continued...if he doesnt agree the customer is always right, play that one!

Da

Less
sorry, they're standard 182 anthracite rims Fred, haven't got ay pics at the minute but can do when the weather lets up. The alloys aren't chipped as such, they're just kinda marked where the tool has been pressed against the face of the alloy whilst prising the centre cap off.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
i suppose it depends on how specific you are on the looks of your car and attention to detail or fancy a bit of extra moolar in your pocket for the trouble.

might be less hassle just to get them to pay you off, instead of messing about with a refurb or new wheels, especially this close to christmas as they will probably try to fob you off, also if you get new tyres you'll have to get your tyres fitted, and im guessing they will charge you for that.

Lionel Richie
i can refurb them in the correct colour, lap-tab is the only uk company with the correct colour AFAIK

Da

Less
yeah that's what I thought Fred, think I'll see what the guy has to say tomorrow when he phones me back and it'll be 2 options, either ££'s back to me or 2 new alloys! I think I know which option he'll go for! ;)

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
dont seem too bad from the picture. quite minor imo. (you should see mine)

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
he's offered me £30 refund, seem reasonable?

nope, you gave your alloys in looking one way and they came out looking another.. you expect them back to looking mint or you will be onto the citizens advice/trading standards..

bottom line that bloke needs to put the screw driver down and use the propper tool in future.. i bet he takes a sledge hammer to hang a painting:quiet:

Clio 172 mk2
What am I looking at.....that 'damage' is so, so minor.

TBH I'd just leave them....you'll only kerb them at somepoint.