ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damgerous brake pads please read

clio 197, 1992 mini
I took my clio 197 to the garage yesterday because my brakes were squeaking when i was driving and when i put my foot on the brake it would stop. i got a phone call from renault a few hours later saying it was damgerous to drive, they said that the brake pads had come off the metal part of the pad so all the pads need replacing at a cost of £323 :( i have contacted renault head quaters and they are going to look into it to see if it is a manufacture fault, just thought i would let people know so you can look out for it. has anyone else had this problem? thanks

clio 197, 1992 mini
What brand of pads is it that failed?

As for cost, if it's not too late, source them elsewhere...you're being viciously dry humped at that price.

hi there they are the brembo brakes its too late to order from somewhere else the parts should b here today if they would of let me drive it i would of ordered brakes and fitted myself but i cant collect from garage as they wont let me drive it

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
hi there they are the brembo brakes its too late to order from somewhere else the parts should b here today if they would of let me drive it i would of ordered brakes and fitted myself but i cant collect from garage as they wont let me drive it
At the truck and bus garage I work at it is up to the customer whether or not to take the vehicle. We explain and advise them they shouldn't but if the insist we get them to sign a disclaimer, basically relieving ourselves of any blame. Maybe you could ask about that?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

LOL!! Was the blokes nose growing as he was telling you this??

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
£323 for pads alone!!!!!! :cry:

just a quick question, why did you take it to Reno in the first place, because of the brake noise or something else?

clio 197, 1992 mini
£323 for pads alone!!!!!! :cry:

just a quick question, why did you take it to Reno in the first place, because of the brake noise or something else?

yes its £323 for the brake pads and fitting i took it to the garage to get the air con regassed and asked them to look while it was in i trust the garage 1000% i have been going there for years

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That sounds about right for the main dealer and it *should* be a price to replace the brake pads, fitting kit (note x2 kits required for x1 car) and labour.

Pads are around £80 from Renault and the fitting kit is around £28 per calliper so that's going to be say 2hrs labour including for stripping, cleaning the callipers and replacing the pads/guide pins.

I'm not saying its cheap mind but if you go to a dealer you will pay.

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Really, have you ever tried to get the guide pins out of these Brembos before?

Sometimes they come out with ease but more often than not they've been in that long they're badly corroded so need the calliper removing from the vehicle so you can show them some napalm fury!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah 2 weeks ago and they were stuck solid, 2 hours as the book time seems excessive especially if it's a 'just in case they are stuck' time

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
... "Because French car" tax

Lol, this is 100% correct!

I used a dremmel with a small cutting disc on mine. I had some redesigned ones to go in (held in place with an R clip rather that the spring mechanism on the originals)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, I always tell 197/R26 owners to go hunt them out before coming in. May have to buy 10sets for stock as they're brilliant (and cheaper than turning them out myself).