ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dampers good enough?

RB 182
Could someone advise me on whether the standard dampers are good enough on a 172 cup to take lowering springs?
I've always thought and have gone for coilovers over lowering springs as I believed that most standard dampers won't be good enough, I might be wrong on this. I've also thought, never to go more than 40mm on lowering springs too.
To be honest I like how the standard car drives and had no plans to lower it but thought it could do with some of the arch space being reduced. I see that a lot of people on here use springs alone so am assuming there are no longer term issues with using them?

182 Trophy #333
Standard dampers and eibach sportlines are a pretty tried and tested combo on here, they dont offer too much off a drop either

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
The misses 182 has run standard cup packed shocks with a set of Eibach springs for a little over 2 years now and no sign of any excessive wear as yet, everything feels as tight as it did initially when fitted.
we didn't want it stupidly low, just a moderate drop for a slight more sporty feel on the road but retaining a decent level of comfort, and the sport lines have done exactly that for us.

RB 182
Thanks for the replies...I think I've come across threads in the past saying Eibach's were the way to go. The shocks on a cup are going to be better than my previous cars so thought there might not be an issue with using just springs.