ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dangerous cup - please help!!!!!

I had a CUP for a year and absolutely loved the car!!!

My main point to you is that the steering feel, feedback and execution of the steering under acceleration and braking is totally consistent with my experience of the CUP and it is how the car should perform.

It is an out and out drivers car in my opinion and is a car that should be taken by the scruff of the neck. It is not a relaxing car to drive. If one wants a relaxing car, buy some base family car.

I always found the best bit on the car was the steering/handling. I rally in the British rally championship when one understands how to drive a fwd car properly on tarmac and gravel, then you will understand what Renault has done with this car. I left foot brake most of the time and when you are on a country/ twisty road blast, the balance is sublime.

Yeah the suspension knocks sometime but that was fine with me. Look when one hits a pothole or breaks sharply over rough roads, then the steering will be pulled all over the place. If you keep both hands firmly on the wheel, then this is not an issue. If you drive this light-fingered, then youll be into the bushes straight away.

Give it time to learn how to drive the car properly,,, or go buy a Mini!!

172CUP

Sorry mate, not meaning to be patronising at all, but what I am really trying to say is that give the car a chance,,, it is meant to drive like that and it is all the better for it in my opinion. If you can master this car, then youll be able to drive most cars in the world!!! My new 911 is a complete pussycat compared to the CUP......... and no I do not work for Renault

172CUP

you said something about ur steering after hitting a rather large pot hole. well i did the same but it was in my mums laguna and the whole wheel had to be replaced as it had been bent outwards slightly (nothing obvious!!) and this was causing problems with the steering and the tyre pressure etc. :oops:

i really dunno if that info is of any use to u at all, but it maybe something to ask or think about. not too good with the technical side of cars!:confused:

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

And i thought my cup was a pain in the ass! Ive got more rattles than playschool, 3 blown speakers and it drinks petrol like nothing else (think that might b normal tho!)

Ive heard of cups with dodgy stearing racks from the factory (N E 1 else??).

Mabye this could be a problem. My Cup likes to go all over the road as well but dosent sound as bad as yours.

I think the guys are right about the air filter may give u grief and a loss of power.

I went 2 Renault in Tunbridge wells and they said they wouldnt tighten my fan belt as it was not covered by the warranty..took it to Tonbridge dealer they sorted the problems the next day..So def change your dealer.

Good luck

it shouldnt be drinking juice too much, i get a steady 35 on the motorway doing 90 ish all the way and about 30 in town, dont thrash it all the ttime though but dinna drive like a granny either

B

Bennyboy

ten quid says that your steering problem has something to do with incorrect camber angle of the wheel that hit the pot hole (sorry cant remember which side it was now) You might have bent something slightly in the suspension. Getting just the tracking checked will not show a problem with the camber angles. My advice would be to buy a set of adjustable camber bolts (they replace the original bolts in the bottom of the strut where it bolts to the hub, cost about 40quid) then get the angles checked by someone who knows what theyre doing. If the angle is slightly out then use the new bolts to correct it. If the angle is way off then some part of the suspension is bent for sure and you need to replace it. Either way only do the tracking AFTER youve sorted the camber.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I could go on and on and read every single reply but as most of you already know about this Ill make it short and sweet. I have had the same concerns/problems with my Cup as well mate.

My Cup has exactly the same problems, steering to the left, tramlining, knocking at low speeds, lumpy start... plus some other little niggles and that.

GET USED TO IT. I did. 7 months down the line, dont even notice it.

It is one of those things, and I paid almost £2,000 more than you.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I dont have a cup so I cant comment but Ive read all the posts and I feel for you - you really seem to have it balls deep!

Hope it all works out - keep us posted!

Clio 172 Cup

Si172 - why put up with it? If your car aint right, and there is a free update for it -- why sit back and let renault take the piss out of u. Its there job to fix cars

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

If the tracking is checking out fine etc get them to have a look at the bottom sub frame.

I hit mine causeing it to crease where the wishbones joined onto it. I had my tracking checked etc but the car behaved the way yours did with the pulling etc.

I could be wrong but if you bought the car second hand, she could have bounced off a kerb as i did as the original owner having said nothing to you about it.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Jpmad4it2...

Some of the things do need looking at admittedly. The car does need its rear brake valve looking at, and also the suspension when turning at low speeds as I get the knocking noise.

I have had my tracking done about 65 million times, Ive had 4 full laser alignments of which the reports have come back perfect.

Ive heard rumours about the pulling to the left, and it being because of the camber of the french roads, and them driving on the right... I dont know if this is true, but I guess its something to take into mind.

I have driven brand new "03" Cups with like 7 miles on the clock and they have exactly the same "problems" as such as my car. So accepting them is probably the only way to get on with it.

Its up to you really mate. Ive had the front subframe replaced after a minor smack, and also the lower steering arm on the NS. It still pulls to the left, so ive learnt to live with it.

Im going to replace the front tyres and also get my wheels refurbed and that as Ive had some pot hole action recently. I doubt it will solve the problem though.

Good luck though with Renault.

B

Bennyboy

Anyone up for a bit of a quiz? quite usefull this..

<A target=_blank href= "http://gworobec.users.50megs.com/1110c.htmlhttp://gworobec.users.50megs.com/1110c.html

Answers at the bottom of the page.

A car with the correct tracking or "toe"and that still pulls to one side or the other has too much negative camber on one of the wheels. Guys, honestly, get yourselves some camber adjusting bolts: <A target=_blank href= "http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=801http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=801 find a garage where theyve got experience of setting up race or rally cars and they will sort the steering once and for all.

B

Bennyboy

Rip off price for some bolts I know but at the moment the only thing you can change on your suspension is the toe angle and you aint ever going to set the front of the car up properly messing around with just that.