ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dangerously bad handling in a Mk1

Elvis - Biarritz 1.2
I need help with this, because I'm magically unknowledgeable about cars.

I've had my Mk1 for a couple of months, and it keeps freaking me out when I go round corners. Now this isn't everytime I corner, but every now and then, the steering will just go really light and quite unreponsive.
I've checked the tread on the tires, and they're not near the minimum tread depth, so I don't think it's that. It's just like they have no ability to grip the road. Do they just sound like sh*t tyres? Or could it be something else? It'll happen even after I brake a bit, so the weight should be on the front tyres as well, but I don't know really.

It's was terrible earlier today though, it'd been raining pretty hard and at one point on my trip there's a tight hairpin country lane, where I'm halfway round when the steering wheel just suddenly has no resistance and flies round, while the car just carries straight onto the grass. That's aquaplaing right?
Surely it shouldn't be that easy to lose grip on the road though? I'm not ragging it, I'm not racing around. It happens even if I'm driving like a oap.

Thoughts? Crap driving? Crap tyres?

Ph2 172
My girlfriend has a ph1 1.4 RT and the steering can get light sometimes (as in most cars) more so in the wet but it's never been bad enough to worry us. The 1.2's do have pretty thin tyre's too which wont help in the wet.

What are your tyre pressures? If they're too high there won't be enough rubber in contact with the road. Either way, it's worth playing with them to find a pressure you like.

As you say though, it could just be crap tyres! lol What make/model are they? You'd be amazed the difference a decent set can make!

Clio 1.2 Campus 4 speed!
I run lower than normal tyre pressures on my 1.2 which gives me noticably better grip since they are the width of ice skates anyway. My steering sometimes goes light for no reason what-so-ever, and you just have to break gently and allow it to grip again.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
i have the same problem in mine mate, span last night.... fun but dangerous lol.

i cant work out what it is, my tyres are absolutley shite, but will be getting new wheels soon, which i think/hope will solve the problem!

Elvis - Biarritz 1.2
White16valver said:
What are your tyre pressures? If they're too high there won't be enough rubber in contact with the road. Either way, it's worth playing with them to find a pressure you like.

As you say though, it could just be crap tyres! lol What make/model are they? You'd be amazed the difference a decent set can make!

I'm rockin' a set of 'CHAMPION - COURIER's ???? Lovely... I think.
At the mo I've got something like 32 on the fronts and 31 on the backs or something around those. I'll have a play though later and see how it fairs. But then I don't want to increase fuel consumption too much.

Mk1 Hybrid
I have found that on my mk1 ph1 1.4 RT with my 15 inch NANKANGS ie - slippy when wet i have really light steering i just think its all part of the fun =D

Clio 1.8 16v Mk1
You dont want to put fuel consumption up in a 1.2 :/ jesus..

My valver runs on 195 width tyres, with a IK kit on, and that uses fuel my mate...
Specially when you plant your right foot, but it sounds oooo soooo nice :D

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 RT
Mine did this alot with the standard wheels on, i.e steelies, but since i put my alloys on it doesnt happen, or i havent noticed it!!

I know this may sound like im taking the p1ss but im not, try braking as you go into the corner :S i did this and didnt seem to do it as much, but did it a little bit, especially after hitting a bump or something!!

Cheers,

Dumpy

RenaultClio 1.4
glad its not just mine :) I get really bad understeer, spesh in wet and on corners, PAS is very light on my clio anyway, but thats good, cuz im a weak girl lol

Renault MK1 1.2i
i have same problem, its called a crap design of build, the wheels are too small 4 the car, best thing is to do is have our arches done and put 205 17" rims on it.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
tyres pressures on mine, i lowered them to around 30... handles fine now!