ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dan's Trophy

danterzza

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Got a new work phone today and remembered most of my pics of my trophy are on the old one. So thought I should put them on the World Wide Web before I forget my password for google drive or my Mac knackers up again and I lose all my stuff.

Anyhow, last year I had been messing about with a stage 3 Saab 9-5 aero. It was a random eBay purchase. Which I ended up spending a fortune on, then only to sell for peanuts as per usual.

5d12eacbb3244115f0e6ea282434faa7.jpg

It was pretty quick in a straight line and a great cruiser. But was not exactly pin sharp in the handling department. (Also carbon wrap roof was not done by me!!!)

I had always been mainly a fan of hot hatches having owned many. 205 gti, mk2 golf gti etc etc

At the time I also had this in the garage, but it was completely rotten, I also spent a fortune on replacing most mechanical bits, the complete interior etc etc

ea330b8262a281ce84a4ce4b7ad8a711.jpg

But it had taken me two and a bit years and there was still loads to do. So I bailed out and sold it. Probably for a loss.

Also a few years ago I had a mint valver, it was ace. Should of never sold it. Always liked fast Renaults.

f834522108269fcd58216c15c3b059a1.jpg

I had always fancied a trophy, I couldn't afford one of the low mileage minters. So I started looking and there always seems to be a couple for sale.

193 was on the trophy forum for a not bad price. Had been on the register since pretty much brand new and had a great history.

So I travelled from Derby to Bournemouth to have a look.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danterzza

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
It was quite high mileage for a trophy, 122k, but had been looked after, I knew I was going to have it, even though I told the missus we was just going to "have a look"

fe4f5e2afccf15a2a3a75ab021254783.jpg

Here she is back at home, there was a nasty dent in the bonnet that would beee sorting and the box was a bit reluctant to go into third. I am probably the worst car buyer EVER! I just don't check them over, I get all excited and hand over the dosh.

Never mind I was happy. It had a recent ish cambelt at Diamond motors, the dampers refurbed and a complete suspension refresh in 2015. Also was on eibach springs and koni rear dampers. Plus quite a few other mods.

First job was to start the spending

X4 eagle f1's, it had a set in already, but they was a few years old and getting low on tread. So replaced like for like as it handled great on them.

766133e9cdbb459695b0da60e34bf41b.jpg

Then put my plate on.

bbdbf39de18be168edba2c4c84db9791.jpg

ba819c36bc1f356bdf56388e8194a0d0.jpg

It had very recently been serviced but I wanted to do it for my own piece of mind.

So I dropped the undertray to find it was dripping gear oil, brilliant. So I serviced it. Then dropped it off at Aaron's autos in Derby who race 182's, I decided to do it proper and have a new clutch and the box rebuilt.

That sorted the reluctance to go into third but also cost quite a few ££££.

Some new mats got ordered.

33a6c166feeeaef3c497f1f51a92f28c.jpg

bc2daa58786c596f38191d0aea011c40.jpg

Got some new rear exhaust hangers as well to get the scorpion system sitting right.

Next it was Xmas and i needed to buy it a present....

danterzza

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
9ba1ff5f40c648f0c6b28342293bf13e.jpg

Fancied a cage, but was unsure.

Seeing as it was never going to be a concours low mileage example and basically I wanted to drive the nuts of it I went for it.

Ordered one from mark fish and got him to install it, they did a ace job and was a great bunch of lads.

551c058cf71bd5e5fd0fc28a6c6c2a96.jpg

Got a rear mat and left all the trim in so it's not a stripped out racer.

Next up I decided I needed some track wheels/tyres.

16dc1e80accbfa17437562b82f1290b7.jpg

More monies spent and I had some pro race 1.2 from rimstock in the correct pcd, et and bore.

Plus some Ad08r's from Jordan beets.

Then it time to sort the dent on the bonnet that was doing my head in.

cfc2bb1a65d8db5873bc0ea717b749b5.jpg

Yeah me new bonnet from Renault and loads of cash money later it had the front end done and looked fresh to death

03de63c163f83deb7fb960053eea82a2.jpg

Then just last week I replaced all the fluids, stripped all the brakes down and greased up everything. Turned a brake hose around that had been twisted before when fitting, bled with 5.1 and made up a bracket for a power steering pipe that was loose.

76cabb94a95d6085e53d9d2a959baef2.jpg

73f4ef70059a191a50b3094f21831b5a.jpg

So basically this car is why our kitchen still looks like this 9 months after it was plastered.

15b5cbda0bdd7476f7b439deb998896d.jpg

danterzza

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Since I have had the cage fitted I have noticed its become quite tail happy, its quite easy to control with some throttle, but I keep thinking it might catch me out one time.
I am pretty sure this is because the rear has been stiffened up, I'm also running a rear anti roll bar, would removing this help? or softening the rear koni's? Or if I have stiffen the front up with a pms strut brace kit and front cage, would it equal it out?? Or am I talking rubbish.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Since I have had the cage fitted I have noticed its become quite tail happy, its quite easy to control with some throttle, but I keep thinking it might catch me out one time.
I am pretty sure this is because the rear has been stiffened up, I'm also running a rear anti roll bar, would removing this help? or softening the rear koni's? Or if I have stiffen the front up with a pms strut brace kit and front cage, would it equal it out?? Or am I talking rubbish.
No - that makes sense mate. It's not uncommon for a stiffened chassis to become a little more playful at the rear. I do believe some folk lose the rear ARB when a cage has been added whereas some soften it off a bit. I guess it also depends on your preferred style of driving as well :)

Interesting to hear about the issues you had with third gear. I had a different 3rd gear issue... it went into 3rd just fine... it just wouldn't stay there! :p