ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Darkening the Roof Lining

Clio 1.2
If you are going to cover them with blanks and they are all different colours you can get some fake leather and some spray glue and cover them. It will tidy them up and keep the half leather theme going :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It wouldn't be worth it for me as I rarely look at my roof lining ;) I may give that spray a go when I cba removing my lining... which I've heard is a ballache in itself!

Then why do you give a monkeys dude?

I think the Alcantara is actually worth it, somehow it makes the inside feel more quality and less Renault.

SQ5
Exactly same thing I said to my missus.

Everything is a nice dark grey, then the A pillars are cream and so is the roof lining. Completely backwards!

SQ5
Keep looking at having them, but can't help but think it looks slightly more out of place than having them painted the same colour as the dash.

It matches the seats/doorcards though. You don't notice them whilst driving - the way it should be! They shouldn't stand out :approve:

SQ5
Yea completely agree it matches, it just isn't close to any of them. But like you say once they're fitted you don't notice them!

1Berg2
Interesting thread, and idea.

I recently got hold of some Dylon Fabric paint, basically you paint it on and it dries soft, you have to iron it on to seal the colour.

Didn't hold much hope for it if I'm honest, but it dyed some red alcantara type stuff in a friends car really nicely, and was as soft as it was originally once dried.

As far as painting/dying the rooflining it would be the only thing I'd use TBH.

Are you doing yours in that then? Keep us updated if so, that sounds a good idea if it will keep the OEM texture.

I've not got round to it yet but if I was to do it, I'd probably cover it with alcantara. I can't be bothered removing all the grab handles/blanks as I've heard it's a ballache!

clio sport 182
i bought a spare headlining as i wanted to do this my plan is to just get material to cover it but had some black spray paint so thought why not just try, going to cover it anyway

results were very good as far as appearance still looks ome but feels like sand paper also would cost an arm and leg in spray paint took a full can and only covered very little

Many.
I've sprayed the headlining in a few of my old cars, it takes time to get it perfect, I primed it (so its all even coloured), then many cans of black. Dries matt as you can imagine, it's not that durable but not terrible. Slight rubbing is fine.

Ill see if I can post pics later

clio sport 182
20130815_081327.jpg

20130815_081359.jpg

20130815_081335.jpg

20130815_081313.jpg

20130815_081350.jpg

20130815_081345.jpg

​sorry it took so long guys

E46 M3, Clio 182
^ that looks lovely! i was going to buy a second roof lining and give the spray/dye a go, but i think i might just pay for the alcantara instead!

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
So why exactly are the grab handles a ballache? Are there clips holding them on? Now I think about it, it would make sense for them to be held on by more than just a couple of torx screws.

Where are people getting the alcantara fabric from in the appropriate colour? Two samples I received were too light and black, respectively.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Giving me naughty ideas about sprucing up the Mk3 now Glenn!

I've been wanting to recover some of the trim in mine with alcantara, but thinking I might have to go back to the sewing machine now I've seen your pics.

Listerine & Poledo
reminds me of the Wheeler Dealers when they did the pug 205

just spray the existing stuff in satin black, job done.

not at all pikey

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
So I had a leak in my sunroof last week (turned out to be a loose bracket letting water in), so I took out my headliner, sorted the leak and thought "f**k it, this is as good a time as any", bought some black alcantara and some Evostik Impact and got to work. Here be the results.
WP_20141120_001.jpg

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
I got it from Dunelm, I'm assuming all those other homewares/craft/granny stuff shops will have it. IIRC the minimum dimensions are 1800x1150mm, but the rolls of fabric are usually 1.5m wide. Assuming there's one of those places near you, make sure you find out the width and ask for 2m.
I used a spray can of Evostik Impact for the bulk of the flat parts (I recommend you buy two) and a tin of the same for the curved areas and any parts you may have missed or had any trouble with.