ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dash light on and Random Revving....

Ibiza FR
I've been having problems with my car recently, but now its got worse. :(
A few times when I have started the car up over the past 4/5 weeks, This dash light comes on and the car starts to rev up and down around the idle point, then stops, if I rev the engine, it would then rev randomly again, until it settles down.

Picture002Medium.jpg

The first few times it happened, it sorted itself, the light turned off and it revved fine. But as i pulled up last night, after a 30 min journey, it came on. I left the car and came to start it this morning and it wont go away. It seems the problem is here to stay for now, so I need to find a solution.

The car is a 1.2 16v at around 82k.

Cheers in advance for any help!
Mitch

Ibiza FR
I've had a look on the forum, seems this light is linked to 'limp mode' but mine doesn't seem to be the same problem as it lets me rev all the way to the limiter. I am aware it is an electrical fault, and I presume it could be anything! So unless anyone else has had the same problem I'll have to take it to a garage :(

Ibiza FR
The car isn't really drivable though with the problem, it just stalls itself when I stop and revs are all over the place while driving, that's the problem. I don't want to cause any damage so I thought to ask in case anyone had any ideas of what to check first of all.

Ill try and do this asap though :)

Ibiza FR
Started the car up and let it idle for a while while i looked around the engine bay, couldn't see anything out of the ordinary apart from low coolant! When i got back in the car the light had gone back off as usual, so I managed to get to college. I will take it to a garage asap.

Megane dci 130
It will be the connections to the throttle body or the throttle body its self. Or in rare cases the throttle pedal.

Ibiza FR
It will be the connections to the throttle body or the throttle body its self. Or in rare cases the throttle pedal.

Isn't this more linked to limp mode? I have looked around on the web and most people get the problem of it cutting out while driving and limp mode, but that hasn't happened to me, yet! Seems slightly different can't find anything online

Cheers for your help

clio 182 (fp04zgh)
the fault is related to your throttle body, it will either require a throttle body (including a reprog) or your pedal potentiometer wiring to be replaced. which basically means putting new wires from the pedal to the injection comp by-passing the two connectors which it goes through as standard. u will need wiring diagrams for this. it is possible to have both these faults and either will send it in to limp mode. it wont damage anything to drive it but it may not be the safest thing to do.. hope this helps you

Ibiza FR
From what I have researched, it is different from limp mode. I dont get loss of power, or a limit of revs.

I have also found on the web that people have had numerous things changed before finding the cause of a similar problem, wiring ended up fixing it apparently, any one else had a similar problem?

AFAIK, its not limp mode, but an electrical fault somewhere causing the revs to fluctuate on there own. I have narrowed it down to happening when coming to a stop, and starting the car.

Twingo rs133
I had that trouble with my fiat had 2 buy a new throttle body they aint cheap :( U would sit there and it would start revin up and down on its own u never no u mite be able 2 have your esu reset and it mite be alright

Clio RS
check this tread...
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=471355

i had similar problem with my 172... and changed ICV...
the one i installed works for 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0 16v engines as far as i know...
you have to find one for your engine...

the problem you are having points on ICV or throttle body...
most likely ICV since cant keep idle when you stop on the light...
take care...