ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dashboard lights have vanished !

Hello Folks.

Tonight has i was just about to set off home from work i put my headlights on and realised something wasnt quite right,my dashboard didnt light up and was completely black,apart from the headlight indicator.Also the left/right flashers where working as well as the temperature guage along with my head unit.

Does anyone know whats happened?I thought it might be a fuse but wouldnt the other indicators not be working as well?Could it be a buld which lights up the dashboard at night might have blown.

I dont know if this has anything to do with it but one of the bulds has blown on the rear passenger side as well.

I was going to take the fuse box out but where it said it was in the manual there is a big side airbag indicator sticker so im not mucking around with that.

I remember my old clio 16vs dashboard light blew so i wonder if this might be it.

Cheers.

IAN

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

if its on the side of the dash on the passenger side of the car then thats the fuse box...just unclip it.

Probably is one of the light fuses gone

Arent the side airbags built in near the back of the front seats and not in the dash

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Just had a thought. If you really werent meant to get in there, wouldnt Renault have screwed it shut and not just left it as a clip off

yep... Sounds like the dashboard lights or the fuse. More likely the fuse though as i think theres more than one dashboard light around it.

Youll be okay to pop off that cover. Check your manual, it shows how to get it off. Im pretty sure that the dash lights are on a seperate fuse to the rest of the lights in there.

If its not the fuse, you could have a loose cable or bad earth somewhere...

Thanks for that folks.

Where it does say in the manual that the entry for the fuse box is on the passenger side off the dashboard on my car there is a big airbag sticker and i wasnt sure of what would happen so i thought i had better leave it.

Does anyone know which fuse it will be has in the handbook it doesnt say anything like dashboard lights there is just ones for stuff like repeaters and interior lights,nothing about the dash.

All them lights work its just the rev counter and speed indicators dont light up.

Ian

Could be that the circuit is sharing a fuse. Is there anything else thats also failed? It seems unlikely that both bulbs have gone at the same time.

I have an evo where the dash lights are tempramental, but thats just a cable that occasionally earths out.

Ive only got a mkII manual and (huge) renault service guide to hand... but im pretty sure that its on the same place on a MKI. The cover is just a clip on thingy. Even if it was the airbag itd be okay to remove the cover.

Hello

No the only thing whats gone off are the dash lights (the mph and rev counters) the lights up and down the sides are okay.

The passenger rear night light as gone but i dont think this has anything to do with it.

Ian

If theres not a specific fuse marked for it, it could be worth a trip to the dealers. Depends on how happy you are about hunting about with a multi-meter.

Sorry Im not more helpfull :)

Thanks mate for your help,ill have another look tomorrow but ill probably get someone to have a look at it pretty soon.

Ill let you know how i get on.

Thanks

Ian

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I know its a slog but you could try looking at each fuse with a light symbol...if you see the broken one then that should be the one

Hello Viceroy,got my mechanic mate to have a look at it today,it was a fuse what had gone,but the reason why the back light had stopped working was because the wires where all twisted up,and not because of the buld going.

Ian