ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dci or Diesel Guru needed

2004 RB182 Cup
Hi,

I recently bought a 2011 Kangoo 70 as a non runner. Turns out someone had dropped bolts down inside the oil cap, which in turn jammed the camshaft and thus a piston bent a valve or two. I've since put a head on and got the f#cker running. It was running well on 4 cylinders however then it went onto 3 cylinders and there was alot of diesel knock.
I was getting an error for glow plug open circuit so I tested the glowplugs and found two to be faulty. A new set were then fitted but the knock and lumpy running remains.
This clears if I rev the engine to around 3k rpm. If I disconnect the connector into the injector on cylinder 2 there is no knock and the engine appears to run a lot smoother. Would an injector which is stuck open cause the knock and rough running? However, I removed the return line to this injector and there is a substantial amount of diesel coming out which makes me think it is not stuck open. Has anyone got injectors for sale which I could try? They are Delphi units and I've ordered ebay version of CLIP so coding won't be an issue.
Any help much appreciated
Tom

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Do a leak off test, remove the return from all injectors and collect them into 4 cups, usually if one is faulty it will be apparent by the different amount of fuel in that cup

2004 RB182 Cup
Hate being beat with something! I'd nearly put a head torch on and go outside and do some work on it now. Be a sleepless night waiting on the morning. Thanks for the advice

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Glowplugs do nowt on these, definitely an injector by the sounds of it, leakoff will reveal all
As bright says, years ago I had one that wouldn't start, was giving errors of glow plug relay, I changed the relay, changed the plugs, changed the wiring, no better and it was an injector. It had took me down the wrong path!

2004 RB182 Cup
Yep, 100%. Although when I tested resistance on the plugs 2 of them were dead so it won't of done any harm either

2004 RB182 Cup
Well the results are in
20200421_120814.jpg

This is after 5 minutes of running. I managed to get the lend of 1 injector which I tried into cylinder 2 anyway out of interest. Exactly the same. Still bad fuel knock from this cylinder. When disconnected on that cylinder the knock goes. It starts and runs fine! I've no idea what to try next. I don't want to fire the parts cannon at it. Fearing for compression issues or something on that cylinder.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
They look alright to be fair. Has it always run knocky after new head or just started? I wonder if the comp is down on that cylinder.

2004 RB182 Cup
I'm not sure since I bought it as a non runner. However the first time it started it ran perfect! I only turned it off because I noticed a slight oil leak in the return to the sump from turbo. Fixed that, turned it back on and its been lumpy since! With this injector fitted there is no diesel coming out the return at all. The knock has gone but it feels off a cylinder. So this other injector is maybe dud? Losing the will....

Clio 2.0 138hp
I'm not sure since I bought it as a non runner. However the first time it started it ran perfect! I only turned it off because I noticed a slight oil leak in the return to the sump from turbo. Fixed that, turned it back on and its been lumpy since! With this injector fitted there is no diesel coming out the return at all. The knock has gone but it feels off a cylinder. So this other injector is maybe dud? Losing the will....
I had similar issues with a mk3 dci. Turns out the be the pump in the end but i did learn a lot while trying to fix it.

-Make sure the injectors are all actually the same type. They have some sort of prefix on them and should all be the same.
-Coding the injectors does seem to clear up a bit of the lumpy idle issues but doubt it would solve the rather bad issues you are having
-Might be worth making sure theres no grit in the top of the injector. Same applies to the tip too i guess. Might be coked up in soot
-Fuel pressure regulators seem to throw up loads of issues that seem irrelevant. Might be worth testing the resistance of it.

I found all these issues on some diesel nutter forum.
I found recon injectors on ebay from the diesel doctor if that helps, perfect service from them and not that expensive really.

2004 RB182 Cup
Has the replacement injector been coded to the car?
No not yet, I've ordered clip so I'm waiting on it to arrive then I'll code it all in. Fuel pressure wise reading it through OBD I'm getting around 4000psi which as far as I can see is very low. However the van starts on the first turn of the key so I'm a bit confused really! I drained the fuel filter to inspect for filings and there is nothing at all!

2004 RB182 Cup
I had similar issues with a mk3 dci. Turns out the be the pump in the end but i did learn a lot while trying to fix it.

-Make sure the injectors are all actually the same type. They have some sort of prefix on them and should all be the same.
-Coding the injectors does seem to clear up a bit of the lumpy idle issues but doubt it would solve the rather bad issues you are having
-Might be worth making sure theres no grit in the top of the injector. Same applies to the tip too i guess. Might be coked up in soot
-Fuel pressure regulators seem to throw up loads of issues that seem irrelevant. Might be worth testing the resistance of it.

I found all these issues on some diesel nutter forum.
I found recon injectors on ebay from the diesel doctor if that helps, perfect service from them and not that expensive really.
Thanks for the extensive reply. I will give some of these a try while I await CLIP to code the injectors. Where is the fuel pressure regulator located?

Clio 2.0 138hp
Thanks for the extensive reply. I will give some of these a try while I await CLIP to code the injectors. Where is the fuel pressure regulator located?
They might not all be relevant to your problem but all seem to crop up lots with diesels. Pressure regulator is probably on the fuel pump. It will be between the pump and the injectors somewhere if its not right on the back of the pump

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If you've got CLIP look at the fuel pressure logs from the high pressure pump mate.

Also, send me a pic of the code on your pump as I have a spare one sat here from an old dCi 100 that has all the sensors too. It sounds as if an injector has karked it but it's always good to have a spare pump with good sensors haha

2004 RB182 Cup
If you've got CLIP look at the fuel pressure logs from the high pressure pump mate.

Also, send me a pic of the code on your pump as I have a spare one sat here from an old dCi 100 that has all the sensors too. It sounds as if an injector has karked it but it's always good to have a spare pump with good sensors haha
Cheers! Will get a picture of the pump today. Awaiting the arrival of clip. Probably won't be here until next week or so anyway. I daily a 2011 megane 1.5 dci and all this bother with this kangoo is making me scared tokeep the megane!

2004 RB182 Cup
Cheers. I'll run CLIP on it and see what the verdict is! I've had a look and the seller hasn't sent it yet 🤦‍♂️

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Workshop manual has a troubleshooting guide for the delphi dci might be worth a download.