ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dci = smokey joe!!!

1.5dci65 Dyn/Billabong
Took my dci down to Potteries Diesel this mornin, started smoking last night when cold outta the exhaust :dapprove: guys took the air system apart, that's fine, got a whole exhaust pipe of smoke comin out when acceleratin hard, so either the turbo or the cat? Trying to get it into Holdcroft tomorro, anyone any ideas though???

CB600FS
How bad is it? Is it black smoke?

More than likely the EGR valves clogged up. Easy to strip and clean theres a few guides kicking about on here.

1.5dci65 Dyn/Billabong
Its black smoke, get a whole exhaust pipe full when u rev it hard, it doesn't loose power or anything just smokier than it should be, im sure he said he checked the EGR system, I've a feeling it could be the CAT, Turbo sounds fine, no unusual noises, just the normal sound when it kicks in. I'm well annoyed, Holdcroft are useless still havent called back!

1.5dci65 Dyn/Billabong
Update: didnt need Holdcrofts, worked out had some nice dregs outta the pumps at Asda, the clio has given up smokin, so gonna replace the fuel pump and get the EGR valves cleaned ;)

CB600FS
Why are you replacing the pumps? No need.

Clean the EGR valve & housing, change the fuel filter, fill the tank with BP Ultimate Diesel - No smoke, JD.

1.5dci65 Dyn/Billabong
I meant the filter, my apologies LOL Still groggy from my shift in the wee hours. Any ideas where I can find a guide? lol Haven't had any black smoke for a few days since I refueled at Esso.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
just thrash it in second gear for 200meteres that will clean all the coke out

CB600FS
I meant the filter, my apologies LOL Still groggy from my shift in the wee hours. Any ideas where I can find a guide? lol Haven't had any black smoke for a few days since I refueled at Esso.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=308327&highlight=EGR+Valve

Flat blade screwdriver for the airbox pipe and either a 10mm spanner or a 1/4" 10mm socket on a T20 screwdriver (not 100% needed).

Pull the air intake pipe off, unclip the relevant wiring off the top of the airbox, undo the pressure sensor on the right hand side of the airbox (or swing the airbox out the way and leave it on) undo the jubilee clip at the back of the airbox, pull off, pull the front of the airbox up, then move the whole lot to the left (peg underneath) pull it out.

Undo the 2 X 10mm nuts and 1 X 10mm bolt being careful not to drop the heatshield. Pull the EGR out - it'll either fall out or be an arse.

or
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=290388&highlight=EGR+Valve

Take the engine cover off, unclip the cold air feed off the front of the airbox, remove the wiring around the airbox including the pressure sensor on the right hand side, undo the jubilee clip at the back, remove the air pipe, lift up the front, then slide leftwards the airbox, take it off.

Now you'll see the EGR valve and housing at the back, theres 2 x 10mm nuts holding it on, and 1 x 10mm bolt. Use a magnet if you want just don't drop them, unclip the EGR valve if you haven't already. Now its loose, it'll either slide out first time (nice and clean) or jam. Spray some penetrating oil where it joins the housing, and with a mixture of prying with a screwdriver in the gap, wiggling the actual housing with a big pair of grips, after 10 minutes (ish) it'll come out.

Most people fill a cup with cleaner and leave the half thats dirty soaking (not the electrical connector end) Whilst they clean the housing, scrubbing all the crap out, hard bits will need scratching with a screwdriver, wire brush whatever.

When its all re-built, initially it'll smoke like a trooper don't panic, when its warm just take it for a hard thrash.

just thrash it in second gear for 200meteres that will clean all the coke out

True technician - least your honest ;)

1.5dci65 Dyn/Billabong
did it today with my dad ;) was sooty as fook lol replaced the diesel filter too, works a treat! Even better with the BP Ultimate Diesel stuff. Just need to find a good deal on a cam and aux change now :D