ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCi taking ages to start.

Hey, I've an 02 DCi Clio and this morning I got this light on in the dash....

y3are2am.jpg

The car takes a good few cranks to get it started but when it starts it runs and drives 100%.

Any ideas?

1.2 16v
Had this a lot when I was driving my dad's DCi. This would never light up and it took a lot of turns of the key taking like 10-15 mins. After looking into it the glow plugs were in fact severely corroded and flooded with water, So was the fuse box but it still ran.... Lmfao.... Eventually.

1.2 16v
When you turn your key to the part where you can turn on the ignition (all lights turn on) that turns on your glow plugs and heats them up to the point where it can start your engine. But if they're not heating enough nothing would happen. Hense when mine were corroded it would start.

Megane dci 130
Common rail diesels don't need glow plugs to start. So you can rule them out straight away. I'd be looking at a diagnostics check paying special attention to fuel pressure.

May possibly be an injector leaking back too much fuel.

I had the glow plugs changed on Monday and the issue disappeared. The glow plugs were bad and at least 2 of them were completely dead. Was still on the genuine plugs with 105k miles on them lol.

Although... On my way to work this morning the same light came on in the dash. Same again, the car is running 100%.

Think there must be an issue with the relay as well. Any ideas?