ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de-cat or not???

RS CLIO 182 CUP
My cat has just recently given up on me on my 182 renault want an absolute fortune to renew it, so is where is the best place to get a new cat or am I better just sticking a de-cat on????

Thanks Karl:D

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Get a non genuine for about £200.

Get a decat for around £100

Get a seconhand cat from cliospares etc for about £100.

Seem to be your only options dude. (DECAT!!!)

RS CLIO 182 CUP
Thanks Daniel I was heading towards de cat anyway just wanted to know thtas all for peace of mind......Will my car need re-tune after decat has been fitted???

Ta!!

Jap Shed
Have a crash-no insurance cover.
Even if you tell them, your cars not road legal and they won't pay out. It has to be on for the not for a reason.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Even if you tell them, your cars not road legal and they won't pay out. It has to be on for the not for a reason.

That will mean 70% of this forum is fucked

RS CLIO 182 CUP
Yeah fair point mate the MOT was sorted as a friend does that for me but as for crash and Insurance pay out its a VALID point.......thanks for advice

Mk5 golf gti
i hate my decat in this weather so smokey for ages lol
personally i think sports cat is the way forward
you dont lose power an it sounds nearly as good
an dnt ave to mess about at mot time

Mk5 golf gti
id look through the forum
as i wouldnt get a brand newen myself but if you did
then ktec maybe
theres quite a few sports cats out there
i think decats are highly overrated unless your car is pushing alot of power
if you find a good deal let me know :D because i want one lol

182 Trophy, Octavia vRS

Not always true I would say there is a risk yes. For example I knew someone that had an accident in a Mini Cooper. He had eibach springs, the john cooper works body kit, 18" john cooper works alloys, and a ITG panel filter. Ther car was written off and the insurance company paid out in full. (Liverpool Victoria)

Evo 8 MR

Don't believe that comment about insurance for a second. What do you have to back that comment up? If that's the case why do insurers still pay out if someone's brakes don't meet the required efficiency? That's on the MOT for a reason aswell no?

id look through the forum
as i wouldnt get a brand newen myself but if you did
then ktec maybe
theres quite a few sports cats out there
i think decats are highly overrated unless your car is pushing alot of power
if you find a good deal let me know :D because i want one lol

It's not about the power matey, certainly on clios at least, it's about the noise/response etc.

phase 2 clio 172
i work in the trade,the mot requires a car to meet specific emissions requirements there is no where that states what has to be fitted to achieve this,so basically,as long as the car passes mot without it in respect of emissions then its fine,some people can map it without a cat to get the levels within tolerence,some modern engines are ok anyway,best to decat and check,but iirc 182's run what is in effect a 200 cell sport cat anyway,so just find one of them (or 100 cell)and fit it,next to no power loss and still emission happy!

Mk5 golf gti
Don't believe that comment about insurance for a second. What do you have to back that comment up? If that's the case why do insurers still pay out if someone's brakes don't meet the required efficiency? That's on the MOT for a reason aswell no?

It's not about the power matey, certainly on clios at least, it's about the noise/response etc.

true but u onli get a gain with alot of mods dats all im sayin and response is worse lower in the revs

Mk5 golf gti
i work in the trade,the mot requires a car to meet specific emissions requirements there is no where that states what has to be fitted to achieve this,so basically,as long as the car passes mot without it in respect of emissions then its fine,some people can map it without a cat to get the levels within tolerence,some modern engines are ok anyway,best to decat and check,but iirc 182's run what is in effect a 200 cell sport cat anyway,so just find one of them (or 100 cell)and fit it,next to no power loss and still emission happy!

lol that is very true
but all the sports ive seen struggle to pass on emissions with a cat nevermind without one
the 182 is much better though as im talking about the 172
i dread emission time on mine

Ph1

IIRC its not illegal to run a decat as long as it passes emmissions.

If it fails emmissions it wont have a MOT thus no MOT at point of a accident outside designated rules, invalid insurance cover.