ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de cat pipes for 172

I have heard that the Cat usually takes up to 10% efficiency out fo performance so in theory 10% more power. (unlikely though!!) Id say about 10bhp? You might get problems with the Lambda sensors though. Someone put a post on recently about their lambda sensor light coming on becasuse theyd taken the Cat out. Dont know a lot about it myself though sorry.

If you have a pre 2001 172 then chances are that it has one lambda sensor (upstream) and you wont have a problem with cat efficiency lights.

Later MK1 172s and all MK2 172s have two lambda sensors. One before (upstream) and one after (downstream) the cat.

If you put a decat pipe on a dual lambda car then you will need to fool the ECU into thinking that the O2 reading on the downstream lambda is in the permitted range. To do this you have to fit a resistor.

Reason is the O2 measured is far higher when no cat !

KTec and Devil do decat pipes.

The 172 cats are very good as std. so expect to see an increase of 5 BHP @ the flywheel and around 6 ibs/feet of torque through the rev range.

IMO it is worth fitting one but it is very noisy with a decat pipe.

Simon

how noisy are we talkin about ?

i m not too much of a loud boyracer kind of (boy)( hahaha .....

would it be just too damn loud for everyday use n sleekin home late? (very important hahaha)

If you keep the revs down then it shouldnt wake the neighbours ! It does scare people though that are crossing the road with plenty of time to do so !

Ive had loads of evils from people just because it sounds lound and im not even driving quick. Lots of older people in the village so that doesnt help either.