ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de-cat

172 ph1
thinking of putting one on my ph1 just wondering first of all whats the law if police get hold of u with one on?

is it worth it on a ph1 aswel? pro's and cons lads?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
after a google search...
One can get caught on the emmision aspect. VOSA/Police/Local Authorities have the power to set up and run, by use of a device, road side emmision checks and any one found wanting can either be dealt with by summons for contravention of Reg 61 Con and Use or given a Fixed Penalty Notice under Road Traffic ( Veh Emmision, FP, England) Regs 2001 - (similar applies Scotland).

172 ph1
what you think for the fine m8? if thats court then you would have to pay the sourt costs etc! just duno wether its worth it :S

172 ph1
i just wanna know what the crack is with them as i do a few miles with work probably about 2000 a month sometimes..do they nack a load of petrol or anything that wouldnt be good to me?

Ph1
If your stopped by VOSA you'll probably have 28 days to sort the problem if it fails. Cops arent interested if your running a decat, their more concerned if your whole system is ASBO loud.

MPG shouldnt change.

53 Renault clio 1.2 16V
Will need to be changed once a year to the original cat, unless you know a nice m.o.t guy who would take a back hander to pass it, MPG has'nt changed on mine, be warned though dependant on what exhaust you have its the difference between ear bleeding and a nice sounding car. Mine screams and pops bangs ocassional flame, but ive got straight pipe no baffles backbox or nothing.

172 ph1
is puttin a de cat on a ph1 as easy as unbolting the cat then bolting the de cat on?

BG182®
My M.O.T is due at the end of the month and my de-cat is comming off, maybe for good. With the strait through K-Tec Supersport exhaust it can be ear bleeding at times. Depending how good it sounds with the cat in I will have to wait and see.

Mk5 golf gti
mpg DOES change it does drop by 2-3 mpg not much but just to clear up that it does
i always think the way forward is a sports cat with a ktec system
as for getting pulled and fined.i have never been pulled myself or anyone i know for it
i have been pulled an the exhaust was neva mentioned
so i wouldnt worry about it

Mk5 golf gti
is puttin a de cat on a ph1 as easy as unbolting the cat then bolting the de cat on?

yes depending on what system your connecting it with
if its desgned to go to the cat.then i had to cut down the pipe then weld it together.youll see what i mean when you have it apart.if anyones interessted i have a full mongoose exhaust with decat all ready welded ;)
private message me

Ph1
mpg DOES change it does drop by 2-3 mpg not much but just to clear up that it does
i always think the way forward is a sports cat with a ktec system
as for getting pulled and fined.i have never been pulled myself or anyone i know for it
i have been pulled an the exhaust was neva mentioned
so i wouldnt worry about it

MPG should not change. Your only removing some slight restriction. Going by past topics the general opinion is any drop seen mpg is usually down to the right foot thanks to the car being a bit more responsive your more inclined to open the taps ;)

Evo 8 MR
i just wanna know what the crack is with them as i do a few miles with work probably about 2000 a month sometimes..do they nack a load of petrol or anything that wouldnt be good to me?

We could sit here and describe it to you but you won't really KNOW until you do it, seriously, you won't regret it, made a massive difference on mine.

If you are worried about noise though then don't do it.

Mk5 golf gti
MPG should not change. Your only removing some slight restriction. Going by past topics the general opinion is any drop seen mpg is usually down to the right foot thanks to the car being a bit more responsive your more inclined to open the taps ;)

strongly disagree there lol nothing to do with me booting it more :p
i was always seeing 34mpg on my daily drive an since removal its stuck to 31 an under.im a student i cant boot it due to the fact i cant afford it lool
as for being more responsive geeez there worse with the cat removed lower down in the rev range.but the increase in sound makes u think its better.imo anyway :D

clio 182
My M.O.T is due at the end of the month and my de-cat is comming off, maybe for good. With the strait through K-Tec Supersport exhaust it can be ear bleeding at times. Depending how good it sounds with the cat in I will have to wait and see.

how good does it sound? coz am getting rid of my decat pipe on an unsilenced ultra performance exhaust as like u said its ear bleeding at times. thinking of going to standard cat n keeping it unsilenced...

Ph1
strongly disagree there lol nothing to do with me booting it more :p
i was always seeing 34mpg on my daily drive an since removal its stuck to 31 an under.im a student i cant boot it due to the fact i cant afford it lool
as for being more responsive geeez there worse with the cat removed lower down in the rev range.but the increase in sound makes u think its better.imo anyway :D

Mate whats the difference between a cat and a decat? Nothing apart from a pipe stuffed full of material.

Removing the material creates less build up thus moving the gasses out more freely and efficiently

If your mpg's dropping off then check your lambda's or maybe look at the fueling side? Trip comp is only a guide anyway.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I have the straight through K-Tec Supersport exhaust and decat. It's VERY loud when gunning it or driving at about 80+, but it's just a quiet burble if you don't floor it everywhere and stay within the speed limit.
It actually sounds epic, especially with added wastegate chatter :cool:

Lionel Richie
on a phs1 i'd leave the OE cat alone, its actually bloody good! way better than the phs2 unit

my car managed 160bhp @ the wheels (190 @ fly aparently!) and i run a phs1 cat, air filter and cat back exhaust, that's all!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Fred@BTM said:
on a phs1 i'd leave the OE cat alone, its actually bloody good! way better than the phs2 unit

my car managed 160bhp @ the wheels (190 @ fly aparently!) and i run a phs1 cat, air filter and cat back exhaust, that's all!
It's my magic cat that did it IMO.

Ph1

Maybe theres no ''cat'' inside it ;):rasp:

Golf GTD Mk7

it that the twin cat fred?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I've seen one of those Vosa units set up for emissions with a gaggle of Pigs around it. They were pulling vans and lorries, not cars.