ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de-cat

ph2 clio 172
hi, could anybody tell me if my car would go through an MOT with a de-cat as ive read a little bit about it on the net but getting mixed answers , thanks :S

ph2 clio 172
Ok thank you , just thought it was a cheap option as the weld has gone on the cat but can be welded , what do u gain from de-cat ?

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Mines wasnt as boomy when i fitted a decat. With the cat in place it was annoying driving at 70mph. It also made a difference in performance. Not huge but noticable.

On MOT, i've seen some cars still pass with a decat but most fail emissions

ph2 clio 172
Oh right well my mate just told me he has a decay pipe of his clio so probably put that on then it gives me abut more time to get a cat , thanks ;)

Renault Clio RS182
I'm gonna get one once it's through the MOT and preserve the original for 1 day a year. I dread to think how much a new one would cost!

ph2 clio 172
That's the thing mines just been mot'd and passed with it blowing ? so may put it back on just for mot and hope it goes through again, there not to bad tbh I was quoted 218.00 fitted but would rather spend it on something a little more exiting lol :)

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Removing the cat will fail the test. Really don't understand why anyone would want to mess about with removing the cat and then refitting it for the mot and then take it off again. A lot of extra work for no real gain. Just get a decent exhaust system and that will give you the power gain you're looking for. I've got a Scorpion cat back stainless system and it's great.

Renault Clio RS182
It's only a ten minute job, and it you've got it up on the ramps doing the oil it saves stood watching the oil drain out :)

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Just don't do it unless you want the extra noise.

I have a decat on my RS192 and I love the sound but in hindsight, it's not worth the hassle. I did notice a slight improvement in throttle response and it seemed a little more free-revving. But this could have been a placebo or it could have been the exhaust itself making the difference.

LY 182
What about de-cating a diesel ? Will that fail its mot also ? And i read somewhere that it makes the turbos spool up faster as the exhaust gasses escape quicker ?

LY 182
Its a 1.5 dci 86hp, theres a company near me called big fish tuning that say they will be able to get it to around 110hp, think its worth the £250 ?

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Personally I'd say it'd be well worth it but I don't know anything about these engines or what the implications could be.

Do a search and see what you can find, there should be plenty of dci owners who have had experience with remaps good or bad! Or start a thread about it and hope someone in the know is kind enough to advise you...

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I see no reason to bother now on a road, especially with the new regulations come MOT time.