ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de coder ring

clio (sleeper)
has anyone got a pic of a decoder ring for a 172?i have installed the new dash and wiring loom and im not sure if ive missplaces the decoder ring or if i didnt pick it up when i bought everything.isit the plastic bit that clips on to the ignition barrel?
thanks

clio (sleeper)
its alright thanks mate.if i cant find mine can i have my old one recoded?or will i have to buy a new one?ive installed the new ecu form the doner car and the uch and the ignition barrel so everything is matching code wise.including the plip key.what will i have to change if i cant find it?
thanks

clio (sleeper)
ive just looked at some pics i took when i bought everything and ive got it.all i got to do know is find it!it cant be far!!!lol

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Sorry, I had to dive off..

To answer your question about coding it....

The decoding is done in the module, not the reader ring. So if you have the matching key and module, simply changing the reader ring will not effect the operation.

I hope this helps....all you have to do now is find it.........lol

The decoding is done in the module, not the reader ring. So if you have the matching key and module, simply changing the reader ring will not effect the operation.

It shoulnd't do but it does seem to you do apparently need the correct ring I've never done a test though.

1.2 16v Dynamique.
All the de coder ring does is send a radio signal from the plip to the ecu letting it know that its the matching key and that the car is not getting nicked. Any de coder ring as long as it works and is the correct one for the car will be fine and will need no programming. I had a problem with the immobiliser late last year. Sometimes it would start and sometimes not. A new ring made no difference. In the end it was the plip that was dead as it was not sending any signal to the de coder ring.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5

It shouldn't do but it does seem to you do apparently need the correct ring I've never done a test though.

The decoder ring, is in fact just an antenna. It comprises of 2 coils of copper wire wound tight and sealed in a plastic moulding.

One of the coils transmits a radio signal to the key when you turn the Ign on.

That small amount of RF energy is picked up by the "chip" in the key.

The "chip" is in fact an RFID device (radio frequency identification) which has another coil would round it.
This picks up the signal and converts it into a dc current which is stored for a few seconds by a capacitor.

The capacitor energises the "chip" to generate a coded signal which in turn is picked up by the second coil in the decoder ring and sent back to the control module where it is verified, and the immobiliser circuit is released.

You can find the same RFID technology on shop goods, in the tags they use to detect shoplifting. They come in all shapes and sizes.

The antennae are the big boxes either side of the shop doors.

Look inside a software packing box or something similar and you can see the RFID tag, its a flat foil printed circuit, normally on the back of the price ticket.

The spiral part is the antenna and if take a magnifying glass, and look in the middle, you can see the chip which contains the RFID device and capacitor.