ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-Swirling my bonnet at the weekend...

'18 Megane dci
lol no, just wondering, seen some pics of people taping off panels, must have been just to prove before and after areas.

Punto/Clio GTT
yea just for pictures tbh to show the difference. also plastic mouldings are taped off so you dont burn/mark them.

ide just do your bonnet as normal and polish the tops of your wings, wont hurt, just watch the edges.

'18 Megane dci
Not going anywhere near a rotary for the moment, would end up with a pure aluminium bonnet !
pansyPC for me.

Looks ok from a distance...

New_IMG_4653.gif

Punto/Clio GTT
yea should be fine mate.

if it was me polishing it ide open the bonnet and wedege it open with an aerosol can by the catch or a roll of cellotape, anything really

just to make sure you dont burn those wings as they am raised slightly.

nice car btw :)

106 GTi
As FM says prop it open, I use a folded MF cloth over the catch.

I never bother masking it up into sections to do 'show it offs' I would just break it down into 6 or 8 sections or maybe 4 if it is minor marring,

'18 Megane dci
Enough for one weekend! Just finished the bonnet, lights and front bumper, only pitting and other bad scratches remain, mission complete!
(just the rest to do now over the coming weekends)

Few pics...

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

'18 Megane dci
Tell me about it, it's so time consuming it's unreal. I wanted to spend more time on the bonnet but feared i'd do more damage than good trying to get some of the scratches out.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah it is bloody hard to get it 100% in a day, but you can make a huge difference on bad cars to getting them a lot better than they were. The most fun is making cars in good condition even nicer though, I don't really like cleaning what I consider "dirty" cars anymore lol.

'18 Megane dci
Mine had/has 7 years of bad washing to clear up, imagine a claybar full of grit being used to clean your car and you'll start to get the picture. I don't mind the stone pitting and larger scratches, but the swirls have to go, they look awful.

'18 Megane dci
I've been at it again this weekend, had the PC out again too, couple of close ups for you, pre polish, gloss and wax, just after the swirl removal, the whole car was like this...

swirls04.jpg

swirls05.jpg

And a wing top...

swirls02.jpg

swirls03.jpg

Whole bum done...

bootlid.jpg

Just need to do the windscreen surround next week and that's it! Never want to do it again, phew.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Thankyou squire, when do we get to see your 'finished' pics?

Last coat of wax just went on...And yes it looks amazing. 4solid days have gone into it, total of about 30hrs, 4 diff polishes, glaze, 2 sealants and 2 different waxes. And that doesn't include the wheels, tyres, interior.

24k service next wk, fairly basic, brakes, oil, filters, engine flush....Then cadwell park again!!! - Take 2!!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS