ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dead spot in steering

In the centre spot of my steering it feels like there is a dead / flat spot where nothing happens, for example if moving and turn left and right a little (say centre spot and 1-2cm either way has no effect on steering). Once loaded steering feels great it's just initial turn in that's very light at the moment.

I dont know if this is likely just alignment or could be worn part wondered what people thought please?

I've got new OEM dampers, spring and top mounts to go on then booked into Bram in a few weeks for alignment so hoping to sort any issues before then to make best use of their time. Last time has slight toe in on front and slight toe out on back on stock suspension.

Its the rubber in the lower uj, you need to either weld it solid or use a twingo lower uj, can also use the clio epas column lower uj, I assume its very similar to the twingo one but looks a bit different though. Night and day difference.

IMG_5599.JPG

Thanks ZachB is this quite involved to swap out? I'm about at my limit of skill/confidence working on car with bolt on bolt off suspension/brake parts so not sure if its beyond me.

Not a quick and easy job but not the hardest, just the usual cramped and buggered elbows getting the column out then you need to wack the ends off, again for me I didnt really have the tools so botched a spanner with a breaker bar and hammered the spanner, you can see where its left marks. Hard to find just the lower uj on ebay, I got lucky. Theres loads of full columns though but not much use apart from maybe the epas motor. Im reluctant to sell my column that has it already on as even though Ive gone epas it took me a while to figure things out and Ive learnt about selling things and needing them shortly after too many times now.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I welded mine in the footwell on my Valver and a mates Williams, I just surrounded the area with damp towels from what I remember- must have been more than 15 years ago now

Thanks both appreciate the advice. I will have a good think and maybe get a friend who's a welder to size it up but from the sounds of it isn't something I need to rush before booked in with Bram 👍🏻

To update, on Thursday when I changed top mounts, springs and struts (all OEM 172 Cup for my class) the dead spots gone completely 👍🏻 these were all going on anyway so going to leave the UJ for now.