ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dealer Tyre Dressing

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yo!

I did post this on Detailing World but thought I’d post on here in case anyone has come across anything like this before.

To cut a long story short the wife picked up her new white Civic on the Jan 3rd. I went to wash it last Saturday and whatever the dealer used as tyre dressing has reacted with the plastic painted bumpers and sills. Garage has admitted liability but I’m still amazed that I’m the first to suffer...I have managed to remove 80% of the damage using Tardis but unable to remove the damage completely...

From this...

47de9bc8013a914f85f2b39c964b9169.jpg

88ae92d18a084d98d8e1b47d60089279.jpg

3d7c3e09d0af68d0029c02e5af8de66b.jpg

To this...

44e2ccd588e5fc7eebb585ea6fa7184b.jpg

9c5970a2b7e46c688dc6df354ba83e5f.jpg

We returned the car to the dealer on Wednesday and they clayed and applied some kind of solvent. They’ve told me to wait 5-7 days before washing but I’m not holding out any hope as I couldn’t shift it completely with anything in my arsenal.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Next step will be to return the car again. I’m not sure what the dealer will do except may be swap the bumpers over...Annoying seeing as though the car has only done 300miles. Even more shocking when you consider it’s dealer tyre shine which has stained and ruined the paint.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Most usually use Autosmart Highstyle which is silicone based and it wouldn't do that.

They must be using some mad stuff.

Yep! Apparently they’ve thrown whatever it was away.

Interestingly though it was relatively easy to remove of the metal work with basic shampoo. The plastic on the other hand...Touch the tyre with your palm then touch the bumper paintwork and you need something as strong as Tardis to remove it. It’s as though it reacts with the plastic.

PH2 172
Strange what people worry about .

The left tyre is very close to illegal, and the right is brand new, but probably the cheapest available.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I've heard Honda paint can be pretty s**t but that's a weird one. At least they're accepting liability though.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I've heard Honda paint can be pretty s**t but that's a weird one. At least they're accepting liability though.

Yep, so far. In fairness I’m not sure how they could deny it as the car has only done 300 miles and the stuff is splashed up every wheel arch lol.

No idea what they’ll do to rectify it though. Swap out bumpers on a new car?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Main dealers have no f**king clue how to wash or prepare a car or clean it without issues ! Never let any main dealer clean your car ever they are all shite in my experience !!
They employ Muppets to do it.
May as well take down some dodgy hand car wash you will get same end result??

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Main dealers have no f**king clue how to wash or prepare a car or clean it without issues ! Never let any main dealer clean your car ever they are all shite in my experience !!
They employ Muppets to do it.
May as well take down some dodgy hand car wash you will get same end result[emoji1787][emoji1787]

You may be expect minor swirling or missed bits but you don’t expect them to f**k up a brand new car by applying s**t tyre dressing LOL.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
You may be expect minor swirling or missed bits but you don’t expect them to f**k up a brand new car by applying s**t tyre dressing LOL.

Probly used creaosote! ?
It was probly some cheap s**t that should be diluted down and they have used it neat!
Hope you get it sorting don't forget some compo for the hassle?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Probly used creaosote! [emoji1787]
It was probly some cheap s**t that should be diluted down and they have used it neat!
Hope you get it sorting don't forget some compo for the hassle[emoji6]

Potentially mate lol.

I can’t imagine this is the first time. What a crazy mistake to make though.

I’m not too keen on them spraying a new car.

What a way the ruin the new car experience! That would pi$$ me right off!
It might come off with a machine polish and some fine cutting fluid. It'll take a layer of the clear coat with it mind.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Could you reject the car if it doesn't get shifted?

I think that’s a little extreme. I believe you also have to give the dealers numerous attempts at putting things right.

I think worst case they swap the bumpers for new ones.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
What a way the ruin the new car experience! That would pi$$ me right off!
It might come off with a machine polish and some fine cutting fluid. It'll take a layer of the clear coat with it mind.

I know, I can’t believe it.

Saying that I’m not stressing about it as they’ll have to put it right.

Doesn’t seem to matter which manufacturer you buy from...Audi presented this to my mum when she bought a new car:

6766941f0b32595ad0f3ba116147e567.jpg

Audi (unlike Honda) make this big thing of unveiling a car from under a sheet. Can you imagine the look on my face when they “unveiled” a dented car LOL.

The fortunate thing with the civic was that it was absolutely perfect on pickup. 100% spotless.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Finally something he’s useful for! ?
You are an absolute scum bag.

@Al_G
They have probably used Autosmart silicone free Tyre dressing. We had the same issue at my last place of work.
We ended up having to paint the bumpers on a brand new 911 as the dressing had effectively sunk underneath the lacquer.
That was just one of a number of issues that that particular Tyre dressing caused us.
We switched to their basic silicone free dressing and the problem vanished.

From your point of view, I’d get them to try their best to polish it out and avoid (if you can!) letting them paint the car.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
You are an absolute scum bag.

@Al_G
They have probably used Autosmart silicone free Tyre dressing. We had the same issue at my last place of work.
We ended up having to paint the bumpers on a brand new 911 as the dressing had effectively sunk underneath the lacquer.
That was just one of a number of issues that that particular Tyre dressing caused us.
We switched to their basic silicone free dressing and the problem vanished.

From your point of view, I’d get them to try their best to polish it out and avoid (if you can!) letting them paint the car.

Ouch!

Cheers for taking the time to respond mate, appreciate it.

What did the owner of the 911 say?

The good thing about Honda bumpers is they all come pre-painted so often it’s cheaper to buy new than it is paint.

Have you managed to successfully polish it out? Any idea why dealers use this crap if it’s causing problems? Seems crazy.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Ok, update.

Honda have not managed to improve the staining. They have gone away to discuss options. Initially they mentioned paint but as Honda bumpers are pre-painted that will be a last resort.

Another option would be to keep it with some compensation our way but they haven’t mentioned that to date.

They’ve asked for some time and I’ll give them a week but my gut feeling is that they hope I just accept it and go away.

Damage to the the sills and front bumper is minimal so I’m happy to leave it be. Rear bumper isn’t great though so something needs to be done.

My wife (who isn’t particularly fussy) would take some cash but I’m not sure the garage will go for that and I have no idea what to accept if they did...Any ideas? A new bumper plus fitting must be knocking on £750 so may be that’s an acceptable figure?

They mentioned colour match on a pre-painted bumper but as the car is new and the bumpers will have been sprayed separately from the car, probably loads at the same time I can’t see this being a problem.

Any thoughts on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Ok, update.

Honda have not managed to improve the staining. They have gone away to discuss options. Initially they mentioned paint but as Honda bumpers are pre-painted that will be a last resort.

Another option would be to keep it with some compensation our way but they haven’t mentioned that to date.

They’ve asked for some time and I’ll give them a week but my gut feeling is that they hope I just accept it and go away.

Damage to the the sills and front bumper is minimal so I’m happy to leave it be. Rear bumper isn’t great though so something needs to be done.

My wife (who isn’t particularly fussy) would take some cash but I’m not sure the garage will go for that and I have no idea what to accept if they did...Any ideas? A new bumper plus fitting must be knocking on £750 so may be that’s an acceptable figure?

They mentioned colour match on a pre-painted bumper but as the car is new and the bumpers will have been sprayed separately from the car, probably loads at the same time I can’t see this being a problem.

Any thoughts on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

It's ok taking some cash but think about selling time or trade in new buyer or dealer may not be too keen on the staining I know I would not buy it like that.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
It's ok taking some cash but think about selling time or trade in new buyer or dealer may not be too keen on the staining I know I would not buy it like that.

True true. The remaining staining is very light but visible if you know where to look. I doubt a dealer would ever pick up on it though. Regardless, it’s a new car so should be new.

679e46f2c00be1addd6a8183d4ef0371.jpg

19b1b7089345ab8d930eb577ce258233.jpg