ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Debating between on a Canon 7d and a Nikon D7000.

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
Well Ive checked both of their specs and they are of somewhat the same calibre. However Id need a review from someone who has experienced it first hand. Which would you choose??

Forget anyone elses opinion.

Go and hold it. See what feels best. See which you prefer the menus/buttons/shape/feel/weight.

Then buy that.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
The 7d is a great bit of kit once you have got you head around the new AF settings and menu options - its completely different to the other canon range so dont expect to just jump in and start snapping great pics if you are upgrading for another canon varient. It takes a while to get to grips with, but once you have worked it out the results are worth it.
Also dont forget your not just buying a camera your buying into a product system so dont forget to consider what is out there in terms of lenses and accessories etc and how much they are.

Ultra Red Megane 175
The 7d is a great bit of kit once you have got you head around the new AF settings and menu options - its completely different to the other canon range

This. I've just upgraded to the 7D from a 40D and they're worlds apart. Still don't really know what I'm doing with it tbh.

Oil Burner
Your unlikely to find someone that has used the D7000 and 7d, so as Revels says, go and use Jessops and try out the cameras.

Both are superb cameras looking at their spec.

If Nikons recent efforts are anything to go by then i would expect the ISO performance to be marginally better on the Nikon. However Used Nikon fit glass is harder to source and tends to be a bit more expensive. They also dont really cater for the 'Pro-sumer' like Canon do with lenses like the 70-200 F4.

Storm Grey 200
Little bump, looking forward to having a play with the D7000 when it comes out. The question is will it rival canons far superior video quality?!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I love my 7D but can't really get on with the video part of it. Nothing I film looks amazing... guess a lot of it is in the post-processing ?! Didn't buy it for the video capabilities though...

As mentioned above .. go have a play with both at Jessops or John Lewis or Currys/PC World/Dixons.. I did this with my first one when I was debating 450d or Dsomthing nikon related.. couldn't get to grips with the nikon where as the canon just felt right, everything was easy and obvious, even to a complete DSLR novice !

Jessops web-price matched mine (thank you, smartphone !!) but not sure if they do that any more. The guy told me I'd got [the 7D] for less than his staff discount would have done ... :evil:

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
7D, we've been using 5 and 7D's for the video capabilities, you'd have a tough time telling stuff shot with REDone's apart from them so i'd imagine the still's capabilities are incredible.

Cupra
Its interesting to see how many people are using them for their video capabilities. Some of the rigs that I have seen people using are insane. I have not really scratched the surface with the video on my 5. Without slides/ tripods or a rig, the videos suffer from quite serious camera shake, in my hands at least.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Due to the insane prices of the REDone's and soon to be epic etc people are turning to the 5/7D's as they almost match the depth of field and spec and for a tenth of the price.

Massive bonus we found as well is the handheld aspect not only because the RED's weigh about 20 freaking KG's but if you're filming in public for example people generally don't tend to be fazed by a still's camera and dont look at you compared to a huge RED rig.

Oil Burner
With a tiny sensor too. The DOF, bokeh and lack of noise impresses me a lot. In this sense the 7d seems more impressive as a video camera than a stills camera.

That video you linked to is shot with a 5d2 so FF, so its not quite so surprising that its impressive. Still love the results you can get from an SLR, albeit LaForet is using hundreds of £k of kit. Still cheaper than conventional video cameras or RED setups.

Nikon D7000.

Nikon D7000 is very simple, if you are a Nikon shooter looking for a new camera then stop reading and buy this camera. It's that good.
Handling.
This camera is brilliant to hold and use.One of the most critical settings in digital photography, and the D7000 handles it brilliantly with so many nuanced settings and adjustments possible.It has "info" button that puts all of the information that's on the top LCD screen, and a lot more, on the big, color rear LCD screen.