ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

decat - insurance

If i go for a full magnex decat exhaust system, will my insurance be void? I know im supposed to have a cat for the mot, asked a dealer today he went mmmmn duno!

Help

yes your insurance will be void until you declare the mods

there is no need for the cat for the MOT, just make sure that the emissions fall within the legal limits

get it cheked at any mot test centre

they will tell you if it is within the boundaries, if not just whack the cat back on and it will (should) pass

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 08 November 2003

there is no need for the cat for the MOT, just make sure that the emissions fall within the legal limits
I dont know who told you this. No CAT on a post-1992 car is an INSTANT FAIL regardless of emissions.

no it is not, they do not check for a catalytic converter on the car during the test - look at the checksheet

all they check is the exhaust emissions, if you look through any information booklet, not once does it state that a cat must be fitted to a post-1993 vehicle

all it will say is that the emissions are within a set boundary

do some research on this, and see what the results are

and FYI my saxo vtr passed its 1st MOT (yr2001) with a decat fitted - was done at a citroen garage, im sure they would notice if there was no cat

Yup, Bambam is completely correct, there is no stipulation that a visual check should be carried out - so if youre emmissions are ok then you pass - :)

now this is what i heard so nobody tell me i talkin sh*t if its wrong but..... the cat is a legal requirement as of 1992, however it isnt part of the MOT if it passes with it off through the emissions it passes, if u get caught by the police or those dicks tht stop you on the road to test emissions you will get shafted. so would think it would in validate ya insurance IF THEY CATCH YOU. but there is so mny peeps doin it and not gettin caught.