ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat problems?

Renault Sport Clio 182
Just had a decat arrive through the post for my 182 and should be getting it fitted within the next month.

However I popped into Rentech Portsmouth to chat to Dave and Mike (about something else but then we go onto decat's) and they seemed to express some concern about having a decat fitted as it may cause some problems with how the car run's.

The decat has one hole which i assume the lambda sensor is put?, then after reading some thread's on here people seem to cable tie the second/post/in line sensor up out of the way some where, they seemed concerned as this sensor may corrode and then cause major problems with how the car run's, and also may cause the car to run very poorly or even cause it to go into limp mode until the car is warm.
I normally let it warm up before driving away anyway, and then drive it under 2,000rpm around town for about 10-15 mins and until the water temp come up before driving it any harder.

I was just wondering if anybody else has had any of these or any other problems associated with running a decat?

Thanks.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I am sure the answer is to run the car with the 2nd lambda in fresh air so the light doesnt come on, put a bag over it, then cable tie it out the way

Astra SRI/ Hornet
the only issue you will have is actually getting the lamba sensor out of the cat (i heated the cat with a blow torch before using a big wrench to turn) then after a few hundred miles a warning light will come up. that and you will notice no difference at all in performance. lol i only did it cos my cat got a hole in it somehow and the decat was only 60 quid.
never experienced any running issues or limp mode with mine.

Renault Sport Clio 182
why is that? do they get stuck in due to corrosion? if so mine was only replaced a year ago (maybe a bit longer) so im hoping it will be slightly easier, although it is a Renault so probably not lol.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
just the heat i imagine. was a right c unit on mine to get off. lol also the standard bolts wernt fat enough so had to buy some from b and q.

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Never had a any warning lights when fitted to mine mate,like peeps have said the lambada sensor can be a b**ch to get out,other than that fit as normal.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Take the cat off and get it in a vice for a better grip on the lambda plug.

Lots of penetrating fluid!!!

ph1 172
Sorry for the minor hijack here, but I am getting a silenced decat made and fitted on Thursday, are you saying its best to not have that lambda sensor put in or have it put in the decat?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Put the lamda in, why would you leave it out? Its not lwft out the cat
My decats been on ages and i dont have the light

Mk5 golf gti
the second lambda does NOT affect the running of the car only the pre cat lambda does.

Impreza Wagon
My emissions light only came on after a couple of 100 miles. It's now on all the time and has no efffect on performance. It's plugged into the decat btw.....

Mine came on after a about a thousand miles, EML is on but not effected the engine. As said only the pre-cat lambda regulates the fuel. Second is just to 'check'.

Yozz'd up 182
Ive zip tied the Cat lambda up out the way and blocked the hole in the decat with an old spark plug. Car runs fine and no worry about carbon build up/soot ruining the lambda sensor which can be more than the decat to replace.

Renault Sport Clio 182
Thanks guy's this, the other thread about the Manifold>Cat fitting kit and a quick PM to Jon.G has answered all my questions.

Thank you.