ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

December Photography Competition - Shot of the Year

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
This months theme, like last year, is shot of the year.

Enter your best shot of the year, it can be of anything (legal and obeying the forum rules), but make sure it's a good picture, we don't want pictures of everyone's Clio taken with their phones.

So - Entries close on the 31st December

The Rules:

- Post a maximum of 3 images at one time, you can come back with more pics if you have tried something different, but please stick to 3 pics max each time.

- You MUST flag one image as your entry, feel free to repost your chosen image towards the end of the comp with 'entry' above it, this will be placed into a new thread at the end of the alloted time for people to vote on. Only images with entry clearly written above or below it will be accepted.

- Try to keep posted images to a max of around 800px wide.

- No rules on photoshop use etc, but this is first and foremost a photography contest, not a photoshop contest.

- All images entered must be taken within this year.

- If you want to change your entry, you MUST PM me (jenic) before the closing date.

- If you haven't followed the above rules don't come moaning when your picture isn't in the voting thread.

The Winner will win a special ClioSport.net goody bag and pick the January theme!

Good luck !!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
For me I think it's possibly out of these 3;

11014098755_58d9c35368_b.jpg

Dave's MPS by scrooge89, on Flickr

10806585803_8a5e295228_b.jpg

Sunset Bench by scrooge89, on Flickr

9709415700_0123df81fd_b.jpg

Butterfly by scrooge89, on Flickr

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Possibly this.
Over 10,000 views in a few days and more favourites than any other this year. Still not sure if it's my personal favourite though.
11055109104_9d37dd24f3_c.jpg

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I'd guess Liverpool.

I'm sure I've tried the same shot but got moved on by security.

It's the No.4 building in St.Pauls Square, not too far from where you got that picture of the plane on the wall with the heart shaped smoke trail. Funnily enough I was being watched by security at the time lol

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That's the one, just couldn't think of the name of the square.
I'd set up a similar shot between two buildings and was told to move on. Also told to move away from Princess dock too. Some of the security guys are aresholes.
I'll be back there tho, so many buildings to take pictures of. One that I went to shoot was full of scaffolding.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
That's the one, just couldn't think of the name of the square.
I'd set up a similar shot between two buildings and was told to move on. Also told to move away from Princess dock too. Some of the security guys are aresholes.
I'll be back there tho, so many buildings to take pictures of. One that I went to shoot was full of scaffolding.

That’s pretty strange being moved from Princess Dock, I’ve never had a problem there, most of it is public pavement around the sides of it anyway.

But yeah, that area is fantastic, I think I’ll go back after Christmas with the new lens and my 10 stop and do some architecture stuff.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Brazo - you are the best cityscape photographer on here by miles, your work is stunning.

Twingo Dynamique
All of these pictures are what i can only dream of getting anywhere near! Obviousely it's down to location and composition primarily.... but I'm guessing the difference between these pictures and something I would take is quality of equipment!? ike you folks must have waaayyyyy better lenses and bodies, i'm tguessing, which give your images that pro look!?

All of these pictures are what i can only dream of getting anywhere near! Obviousely it's down to location and composition primarily.... but I'm guessing the difference between these pictures and something I would take is quality of equipment!? ike you folks must have waaayyyyy better lenses and bodies, i'm tguessing, which give your images that pro look!?

Wrong on so many levels.

The cost of your gear is in no way proportional to the quality of your photos.

I've seen some awesome photos taken on mobile cameras for example. The only difference is for example, Riads last shot of the BTCC cars, a camera phone won't be able to take a shot like that, and and your average point and shoot would struggle too.

It's very true to say a more expensive camera will make certain shots A LOT easier, but that does't mean a cheap camera cannot take a good photograph. YOU make the photo, not the camera.

Most of my shots could be taken on a £140 camera (albeit second hand).

The skill is seeing the world differently to others and expressing that through a photographic medium. A good degree of technical skill will help you to realise the shot but creative skill is needed to see the shot.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Instead of being a philosophical about camera gear, let's be realistic and say, yes, it is a thousand times easier to get better images using better gear, obviously there are the human factors of actually getting the shot, but two people of equal ability would get different results from different gear, otherwise we'd have pros shooting with a £60 compact camera.

I have decent enough gear, but it's mainly about right place, right time and good composition or cropping.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Instead of being a philosophical about camera gear, let's be realistic and say, yes, it is a thousand times easier to get better images using better gear, obviously there are the human factors of actually getting the shot, but two people of equal ability would get different results from different gear, otherwise we'd have pros shooting with a £60 compact camera.

I don’t think this shows my appreciation for the human element in creating photos, so it is a huge part of it, almost the whole part. I’m just saying that there comes a point where gear does come into it :)

LY 182 FF CUPPED
A Pro camera doesn't take better pictures, hence Nikon have never pushed passed the 12/16 meg pixel count. Why bother when most stuff is getting printed in papers. A Pro camera is called a Pro camera because it can take a battering day in day out. I could smash out a portfolio with 1 roll of film through a Nikon FM2 and a 50mm Ai lens and still stand have images that stand out.....it's not always the camera. I've also had days when I've been carrying £30k worth of gear and have had zero inspiration and come home with sod all images ........I have never been too wrapped up in gear, learn how to see light before learning the Argos figures of any tool in your bag.